7mm Rem Long Range Build

btLRH

Hey guys, looking for some help and a lot of knowledge. As of now I have a Remington 700 7mm. Im planning on turning this into a long range rifle. Planning on keeping the same action, will change out the trigger and barrel. And as of now I've done a little research and gonna start with norma brass, 168gr Berger HVLD, and IMR 7828ssc. If anyone else has any experience with this or could point me in another direction that would be great!

Pick a ice 26" barrel you should be set. My 700 loves H1000 and Retumbo. If I can hunt where lead is still allowed the 168 Berger is exactly what I'd use.

Can you get me a link for that? I'm coming up with nothing but ice containers...

I think he meant "nice" 26" barrel. lightbulb

We have excellent barrel makers here in MT ...

http://www.x-caliber.net/main/XCAL-page.asp?P=1

http://www.riflebarrels.com/products/centerfire_lilja_rifle_barrels.htm

http://www.mcgowenbarrel.com/chrome-moly-barrels/

http://proofresearch.com/the-products/barrels/

If you plan on using the Nosler LRAB too, make sure you have the right twist >>> http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/nosler-lr-accubonds-bc-testing-results-137554/

Go at least 1 in 8.5 twist. 1 in 8 would be good too in case those 195 grain Bergers come out next year . 180 hybrids, 168s, the noslers LRAB, 162 amax lots of good 7mm options. The nosler brass is really good but good luck finding it. Start locating retumbo and h1000! The hybrids are fine for hunting even though they have the thicker jacket...in fact they are maybe too expansive inside 350 might want accubonds or sciroccos for close shots.

The only thing frustrating about the 7 mag s reloading data is all over the map. The loads today are way less than they used to be, I think this is to make the new wsm and rsaum look better. Bottom line, with a 26 in barrel and retumbo you will see 180s at 2950+ with a good load work up. Neither the hybrids nor the accubonds mind jumping so start 15 to 20 thousandths off the lands and see how they shoot...my guess is they will like it there and you won't have to worry about pressure spikes from jamming.
You are gonna love this rifle...only 6.7 mils to 1000 yards, 1.4 mils (53in) drift 10 mph cross, 1300 ft lbs energy, and that is wintertime numbers at near sea level...you will see better than that in MT.

bt- i have a sendero with a krieger 9 twist barrel and love it. most on here shoot 168 w/H1000 . i have used both nosler and norma brass

Go at least 1 in 8.5 twist. 1 in 8 would be good too in case those 195 grain Bergers come out next year . 180 hybrids, 168s, the noslers LRAB, 162 amax lots of good 7mm options. The nosler brass is really good but good luck finding it. Start locating retumbo and h1000! The hybrids are fine for hunting even though they have the thicker jacket...in fact they are maybe too expansive inside 350 might want accubonds or sciroccos for close shots.

The only thing frustrating about the 7 mag s reloading data is all over the map. The loads today are way less than they used to be, I think this is to make the new wsm and rsaum look better. Bottom line, with a 26 in barrel and retumbo you will see 180s at 2950+ with a good load work up. Neither the hybrids nor the accubonds mind jumping so start 15 to 20 thousandths off the lands and see how they shoot...my guess is they will like it there and you won't have to worry about pressure spikes from jamming.
You are gonna love this rifle...only 6.7 mils to 1000 yards, 1.4 mils (53in) drift 10 mph cross, 1300 ft lbs energy, and that is wintertime numbers at near sea level...you will see better than that in MT.

Are you seeing good ES with retumbo? Somewhere I read h1000 was a little better on the ES but can't remember where. I have loaded some h1000 and gave my ES in the teens but I would like sub 10 if possible. Sorry don't wanna hijack your thread

In truth I don't know what it is. I'm getting about 4 inches vertical at 890 the last I shot for groups, how much is velocity and how much was my trigger is unknown. I did run the chrony for it was inconclusive between the two in one comparison and the next time h1000 showed better ES, about 12 as I recall. However I'm getting better results on target with retumbo. I don't put a lot of stock in chrono results unless you are shooting several 10 shot strings. If you are deciding between two powders which are similar it will take a big sample size to really know for sure. The trend I was getting was In general slightly better ES with h1000, but smaller groups with retumbo. Since most of my shots are 1000 or less I went with the retumbo.

I do think I got better results when I started using graphite on the necks. I no longer stainless tumble, I think it makes the necks too clean and "grabby" for lack of a better term. I think the carbon actually promotes a smoother release. I run a bore brush in the neck, clean the outside of the case with a rag and alcohol, clean the primer pocket with a uniformer, size, graphite the neck, load powder and seat the bullet. The range of ES I was getting decreased. I'd say it is in the teens somewhere.

Retumbo gives me about 50 more fps, but if my rifle liked h1000 better I'd have given that extra up if I could have gotten into single digit ES. a 30 fps spread is worth about 5.5 inches vertical at 1000 with 180 hybrids, 15fps would be less than 3 . Single digit ES would be sweet but for me was offset by groups increasing from .3 moa to .6 moa at 100 yards.

Yep, nice barrel not ice barrel. Was thinking if the recent thread about barrel makers when I wrote that.

Ditto on the Rem Mag data being all over the place. Even within the same manual you'll see some loads that make you scratch your head when a heavier billet calls for a few grains more powder???

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.