First Build! Remington 700 Long Range 7mm. Questions

Back from the dead. Im the OP
My gun is having a break installed as we speak. Glass bed and having the timney reduced as well.

Going with a PST Vortex for budget reasons. Hoping to work up a load also.
Lapau or Nosler casings. Federal mag primers. 168 bergers?
Striclty a ling range gun. Will have turrets built by Kenton once zeroing is complete. Hoping for 1000yds.

Anyone have anymore insight? Do's/Dont's?
Again 7mm long range Rem 7mm rem Mag.

My gun is having a break installed as we speak. Glass bed and having the timney reduced as well.

Striclty a ling range gun. Will have turrets built by Kenton once zeroing is complete. Hoping for 1000yds.

Sounds good to me! I'd go Lapua casings for a purely range gun.

I've got 2 LR's in 300WM. I had to have both chambers polished. The local gun store has to perform quite a few chamber polishings on the LRs. I've had no problems with either one since the chambers were polished.

Save even more and go with an HS-T... 99.9% of people will never need an illuminated reticle.

Lapua doesn't make brass for belted cases, so get the Nosler brass. It's good stuff.

168 Bergers will be fine...It's what I shoot in my 7mm RemMags.

Save even more and go with an HS-T... 99.9% of people will never need an illuminated reticle.

Lapua doesn't make brass for belted cases, so get the Nosler brass. It's good stuff.

168 Bergers will be fine...It's what I shoot in my 7mm RemMags.

Same glass on the hs-t?
Thanks

Same glass on the hs-t?
Thanks

Same glass, same tube, same turrets. Only differences are reticle design, illuminated reticle, and FFP vs. SFP (personally I prefer SFP scopes).

For $300 cheaper, I'll take the HS-T any day of the week. And after buying an EGW HD 20 MOA base, and Seekins Precision 30mm Low rings, I'll still have a $100 bill in my pocket, than what JUST the PST scope costs...

Same glass, same tube, same turrets. Only differences are reticle design, illuminated reticle, and FFP vs. SFP (personally I prefer SFP scopes).

For $300 cheaper, I'll take the HS-T any day of the week. And after buying an EGW HD 20 MOA base, and Seekins Precision 30mm Low rings, I'll still have a $100 bill in my pocket, than what JUST the PST scope costs...

Agreed!

Any guesses how far i can stretch that scope out with 20 moa bases?
Will 1000 be possible? I figured it would be close depending on the load?

Thx

Agreed!

Any guesses how far i can stretch that scope out with 20 moa bases?
Will 1000 be possible? I figured it would be close depending on the load?

Thx

7mm RemMag with a 20 MOA base and an HS-T 6-24x50 should reach you WAY beyond that. But with the 168 load, I don't think you'll want to shoot much farther. The energy starts dropping pretty fast after about 750 with the 168gr bullets. If you were shooting the 180 Hybrids then you should be able to reach on out there. With the 9.25 twist, you should be able to spin the 180 Hybrids. Which is what I recommend for shooting beyond 750.

7mm RemMag with a 20 MOA base and an HS-T 6-24x50 should reach you WAY beyond that. But with the 168 load, I don't think you'll want to shoot much farther. The energy starts dropping pretty fast after about 750 with the 168gr bullets. If you were shooting the 180 Hybrids then you should be able to reach on out there. With the 9.25 twist, you should be able to spin the 180 Hybrids. Which is what I recommend for shooting beyond 750.

Mud. Any powder recommendations and an amount to start with to get that velocity with that 180 hybrid?
Thx

Mud. Any powder recommendations and an amount to start with to get that velocity with that 180 hybrid?
Thx

Every rifle is different, so you will have to work up your own load tailored to your particular rifle, but as for powder types... I recommend IMR 7828 SSC, IMR 7977, and Hodgdon H1000.

Finally getting around to a scope, base, and rings

Amazon gifts are ready lol.
Still set on the hs-t 6/24/50
As far as rings? Standard precision vortex? Low medium or high? I am going with 20 moa bases.
Will a standard height ring be ok?

Finally getting around to a scope, base, and rings

Amazon gifts are ready lol.
Still set on the hs-t 6/24/50
As far as rings? Standard precision vortex? Low medium or high? I am going with 20 moa bases.
Will a standard height ring be ok?

Seekins Precision, 30mm, Low (Vortex Precision = made by Seekins for Vortex w/ Vortex logo)
EGW HD 20MOA base

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.