First Build! Remington 700 Long Range 7mm. Questions

The gun was fired again with factory ammo in order to replicate the issue.
The cartridge has visible marks where the belt is with some swelling.

Determining weither to try to send it back to remington. I have located the factory trigger but the barrel has a break installed. Hate to send it, then deem it not under wateenty bla bla bla and waste all that time if i could just buy a new aftermarket barrel etc.

Not sure what route to go. Its going to the smith on monday for one last look.

Thanks for any more tips

If it is something simple, like a short-cut chamber, then your smith should be able to fix that pretty easily and inexpensively. If he says the barrel is junk, go buy a Bartlein barrel in the caliber/twist you want, have him blueprint the action, and enjoy your shooter.

I have built the exact same gun and had the same issue. Rem 700 LR in 7mm with a SWFA 3-16X42 SS. After about 20 rounds of Hornady 168g ELD-X, I also hade two cartridges that were difficult to eject. Concerned I stopped shooting consulted an experienced friend. He was concerned, but felt I should clean the gun and try again with a different break in regiment. I subsequently did a through cleaning job removed all the copper and followed a break-in procedure which includes through copper removal after every shot for the first 30 rounds, then every 5. 35 additional rounds of Federal Gold 150g Copper and no problems so far. My muzzle velocity is averaging 2958 with this ammo, but my groups at 100 meters are an unimpressive 1.743 MOA. I am hoping as I continue this break in, an additional 25 rounds, that those tighten up. I then plan on working on developing a load just for this gun using either the Nosler 150g E-Tip or the Hornady 139g GMX, stupid CA laws...

Please keep us informed on what your gun smith says.

Cheers!

I have built the exact same gun and had the same issue. Rem 700 LR in 7mm with a SWFA 3-16X42 SS. After about 20 rounds of Hornady 168g ELD-X, I also hade two cartridges that were difficult to eject. Concerned I stopped shooting consulted an experienced friend. He was concerned, but felt I should clean the gun and try again with a different break in regiment. I subsequently did a through cleaning job removed all the copper and followed a break-in procedure which includes through copper removal after every shot for the first 30 rounds, then every 5. 35 additional rounds of Federal Gold 150g Copper and no problems so far. My muzzle velocity is averaging 2958 with this ammo, but my groups at 100 meters are an unimpressive 1.743 MOA. I am hoping as I continue this break in, an additional 25 rounds, that those tighten up. I then plan on working on developing a load just for this gun using either the Nosler 150g E-Tip or the Hornady 139g GMX, stupid CA laws...

Please keep us informed on what your gun smith says.

Cheers!

Thanks for the info. I absolutley will

I shot again on Friday and again had some more difficult to eject cartridges, all with factory ammo. It was only 3 or 4 out of some 30 shots. I experienced this in both fouled barrel and brand clean barrel. I will be really interested to see what your gun smith says, or if anyone has any other ideas. Attached is a picture of the scratches on the brass. I find it interesting that there is a gap between the belt and the scratches which I assume shows where the end of the chamber is. I thought this was supposed to be at the belt?

Attachments

• Stuck Cartridge.jpg
    Stuck Cartridge.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 81
The area that is shiny is where the brass is expanding to conform to the chamber. The chamber is larger in that small area than normal.

You have an irregular shaped chamber. It is as if a gunsmith took some time to sand out an anomaly in that area making it larger. Remember the belt area is much larger so it is not part of this issue. If it happens with virgin brass, IMO the only way to solve it is either rebarrel or rechamber it to a larger diameter cartridge. A 28 Nosler would clean it up nicely.

OP here

Mine is still at the smith. Hoping to have some answers soon.
Thanks for all the info

Ill keep everyone updated as well.

asg1485,

Here is a quick update on my gun. I ended up taking the gun to my gun smith for a lookover. He first checked the chamber with the go, no go gages and everything was fine. He looked over all my brass and listened to my issues and felt the best course of action was to polish the camber. With a nylon brush in a drill, he used rubbing compound to polish the first 1/8 to 1/4" of the chamber. I just got back from the range and it is working great no, no problems as all.

Please let us know what your smith says and how things are coming along.

Cheers!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.