7mm rem and 180 bergers...again

shawnb

so i know this has kinda been talked about already but i am looking for just the loads and how they shoot. i was using h1000 and when i had to get more it must have been a lot change and its never shot the same. i was getting an average of 2900 out of my 26" lilja 9 twist. what are a realistic velocity i should be shooting for. im using norma brass and its expensive for only 3 or 4 reloads.

so...what powder and how much are you 7 mag fans using with the 180 berger. velocities, ES and SD's.

In 7rm and 180 bvld, I use H4831sc, 64g, fed 210M. 2835 fps. Easy on me, easy on brass. Really low ES and SD's. I have found this powder to be really temp stable and from lot to lot I do not have to tweek loads. Since finding this powder/primer combo I switched to it exclusively in 243wssm, 25-06, 280AI, 7RM, and, 300 win mag. I am on my third different 8 lb jug and didn't need to adjust previous loads for anything with a bullet weight over 160 grains.

You will give up a little speed, but temp swings may be 80 degrees between shooting sessions for me. As I have been in this game longer, and have acculmulated more rifles, I love being able to pick up any of my rifles and know where the first shot is going to hit. In long range you are going to be dialing anyways, a couple extra clicks is no big deal, plus I am extremely ocd on brass prep, and once I get a piece where I want it, I don't want to have to re-do it after 3 firings. My brother is still is mad cause I wouldn't let him keep the one brass that he shot his elk with last year.

In 7rm and 180 bvld, I use H4831sc, 64g, fed 210M. 2835 fps. Easy on me, easy on brass. Really low ES and SD's. I have found this powder to be really temp stable and from lot to lot I do not have to tweek loads. Since finding this powder/primer combo I switched to it exclusively in 243wssm, 25-06, 280AI, 7RM, and, 300 win mag. I am on my third different 8 lb jug and didn't need to adjust previous loads for anything with a bullet weight over 160 grains.

You will give up a little speed, but temp swings may be 80 degrees between shooting sessions for me. As I have been in this game longer, and have acculmulated more rifles, I love being able to pick up any of my rifles and know where the first shot is going to hit. In long range you are going to be dialing anyways, a couple extra clicks is no big deal, plus I am extremely ocd on brass prep, and once I get a piece where I want it, I don't want to have to re-do it after 3 firings. My brother is still is mad cause I wouldn't let him keep the one brass that he shot his elk with last year.

+1

The 4831SC has worked well for me too out of my 7saum. Getting 2920mv @ 55 degrees with low ES and SD. Shooting the 180's at 1.997" at 500 now with virgin brass at that...

Oh and barrel is 26" Rock with a brake. and 8.75 twist.

Right on the lands was where I started, really accurate, but I would pull a bullet every once in a while. I pulled back three, thre shot groups .005at a time. .005off was good, .010 was really good, and .015 off was still half moa at 300 yards.

I would start with the Hodgdon data and work your way up. My chamber is setup way differently that others and is a match chamber with a longer throat. My load in a factory chamber will have problems. The Hodgdon max charge is still well below the case pressure specs, so you should be working your way up and looking for pressure signs.

I run the 180's at 3030-3050 in 26-27" barrels with no pressure signs. Cases last 5-7 loadings. Its getting close to max, but not there yet.

Does increasing the amount of powder (retumbo) as you approach the max affect the accuracy much?

Thanks TMR. I have also heard that retumbo is at its best with a full charge. Cant remember where though. Do you think there would be any issues running 210m primers with retumbo? I have 1000 of them and none others.

Thanks TMR. I have also heard that retumbo is at its best with a full charge. Cant remember where though. Do you think there would be any issues running 210m primers with retumbo? I have 1000 of them and none others.

The 210m will light it fine, but it's something you'll have to experiment with to see what they will produce in your load.

There is no data on the Hodgdon website and when I call them, the tech guy said they had no info on the 180 Berger. Anyone have a recipe and seating depth?

There is no data on the Hodgdon website and when I call them, the tech guy said they had no info on the 180 Berger. Anyone have a recipe and seating depth?

I'm experimenting with the Berger 180 with Retumbo. I am using a standard CCI 200 seated to just touch the lands at a coal of 3.425. I loaded up in .4 grain increments from 68.0 to 70.0 grains and saw an increase of 17 fps per increment.

I got it up to 2950 with a decent ES and good accuracy. I hit a one hole accuracy node right around 68.8 grains and 2900 fps. I was able to push to 70 grains at 2950 fps without pressure signs. I expect to hit the upper node at 70.4 grains at 2965 fps. All loads were sub MOA in my 28" pac nor and .25 MOA at the accuracy node. ES was decent. Some charges were single digit, and others were around 20.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.