Remington Sendero 7mm RUM and 180 gr Berger VLD?

I had the exact opposite experience with my 700 CDL. I actually burned up the bbl trying to get the Bergers to print any kind of group under 2 inches. I did ladder tests, I did 10 thousandths and 20 thousandths jammed into the lands, and behind the lands. I tried 50 BMG, Retumbo, us869, and H 1000. I finally gave up and tried the 160gr ABs with 93 gr of Retumbo and bingo, shot a half inch group at 100 yards. Used it two seasons on antelope, and I was stupid and believed I could get the Bergers to shoot. I would shoot four or five and clean down to bare metal, never let the bbl get too hot, but alas the groups opened up to 5 - 6 inches, even with the ABs.

I talked to a guy at Berger, one of their balisticians, and he told me that really the only way to know if the bbl on the 700 is twisted at 1 in 9.5 was to actually check it myself. I did that with the cleaning rod method, and it was actually twisted a bit looser that advertised. The guy at Berger said that he'd seen a few 700 with factory bbls twisted looser than advertised, as was the case with mine. He said that 1 in 9 was the Minimum that would stabilize the 180gr.

As far as the AB goes, while it was very accurate in my rifle, the terminal performance was poor at best. I never really checked this out but I'm assuming that they are extremely hard because on the antelope I killed they did not expand AT ALL. I hit one at about 320 yards, hitting a rib on the way in and the exit wound looked like a little bullet hole. I got one at just a bit over 500 yards, again with a rib hit, and a tiny exit wound. That one I also hit at a high raking angle, I put one just in front of the left hind quarter, with no bone hit, there was a tiny exit wound just in front of the right front quarter.

From my experinece my advice would be to not spend too much time on Bergers if you don't chance on an accurate load fairly quickly in that round.

Hicks

Hicks,

I have a brand new CDL at the gunsmiths right now. There is no bedding in the stock at all. The barrel rests on two little notches of wood in the forend of the stock. My CDL would not group better than 3" at 100. It is not the same quality of rifle as the Sendero.

I had the exact opposite experience with my 700 CDL. I actually burned up the bbl trying to get the Bergers to print any kind of group under 2 inches. I did ladder tests, I did 10 thousandths and 20 thousandths jammed into the lands, and behind the lands. I tried 50 BMG, Retumbo, us869, and H 1000. I finally gave up and tried the 160gr ABs with 93 gr of Retumbo and bingo, shot a half inch group at 100 yards. Used it two seasons on antelope, and I was stupid and believed I could get the Bergers to shoot. I would shoot four or five and clean down to bare metal, never let the bbl get too hot, but alas the groups opened up to 5 - 6 inches, even with the ABs.

I talked to a guy at Berger, one of their balisticians, and he told me that really the only way to know if the bbl on the 700 is twisted at 1 in 9.5 was to actually check it myself. I did that with the cleaning rod method, and it was actually twisted a bit looser that advertised. The guy at Berger said that he'd seen a few 700 with factory bbls twisted looser than advertised, as was the case with mine. He said that 1 in 9 was the Minimum that would stabilize the 180gr.

As far as the AB goes, while it was very accurate in my rifle, the terminal performance was poor at best. I never really checked this out but I'm assuming that they are extremely hard because on the antelope I killed they did not expand AT ALL. I hit one at about 320 yards, hitting a rib on the way in and the exit wound looked like a little bullet hole. I got one at just a bit over 500 yards, again with a rib hit, and a tiny exit wound. That one I also hit at a high raking angle, I put one just in front of the left hind quarter, with no bone hit, there was a tiny exit wound just in front of the right front quarter.

From my experinece my advice would be to not spend too much time on Bergers if you don't chance on an accurate load fairly quickly in that round.

Hicks
Good afternoon Hicks. After having read the post, I wonder if you have finally managed to group the Berger 180 gr in the RUM? I have the same problem ... and I can't find a solution.

Good afternoon Hicks. After having read the post, I wonder if you have finally managed to group the Berger 180 gr in the RUM? I have the same problem ... and I can't find a solution.
Given he hasn't been active since 2014 my guess is he won't answer. I would start a new thread rather than bumping a 10yr old thread if you want a convo on this.

That's the idea ... if any of all those who participated in the post achieved good results with the Berger 180 tips on a 7mm RUM ... they could tell their experience and contribute ... thanks for the advice.

Although I don't have a 7RUM, I do shoot the berger 180hybrid in my 7saum. It shoots very nicely with the bullet seated .010 off the lands with a stout load of the magic pixie dust known at Reloder 26.

One of the issues the OP had was that to seat his bullets out that far, he probably couldn't be able to extract an unfired round without pulling the bolt. This isn't an issue in my rifle as my 7saum is built on a long action, so I don't have any COAL issue at all.

Hope that helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.