7mm or 30 cal? Just for curiosity’s sake

7mm or 30 cal?

• 7mm

Votes: 150 54.9%
  • 30 cal

Votes: 123 45.1%

• Total voters
Question says it all. The 22s, 6mm, 6.5, and .338 bore are all pretty common here but it I think it's safe to say the big 7mms and 30s are the unchallenged all range all purpose hunting versatility kings. I bet pretty much everyone on here has at least one 7mm or 30 caliber rifle.

im a 30 guy myself, .300 win mag being my favourite cartridge to play with, .30-30 being what I learned to shoot centerfire rifle with.

but I only bought my first .300 because my other rifle was a .270 win and I wanted a more significant difference in performance than what a 7 would gain. No regrets. But if I didn't already have a 270 I may have gone 7mm mag and had no reason for a .300 or a 270, who knows?

the 7mms are objectively the best of all worlds for long range hit probability. The 180 eld m for example has a bc of .79. There are no similar bc bullets of lesser diameter that I'm aware of and to exceed this bc significantly starts at the 250 atip or such. That's a huge jump. Not to many 30s, if any, will be launching a 225-250 grain at comprable speeds to a 7stw or 28 Nosler with that 180, and if they do it won't be in as portable or pleasant to shoot package.

that said, I maintain the big 30s hit and affect big game very noticeably harder than the 6.5, .270, and 7mm cartridges so they get the nod from me

Now for the just for fun question. If you could only own and shoot either a 7mm or a .30, not both, which would you choose?
.30....... I own many rifles that are not .30 caliber and they all work great for what they were meant. But one caliber that does more than any other WELL.... that's .30 My go to is 300 H&H

30 cal all day long if you are taking western big game. My 300 win has taken a lot of game from 40-500 yards always accurate and reliable. Tikka m695 300 win with a muzzle brake. That being said i just stepped into the 6.5cm realm and i am more then pleased with the results. No big game yet but it will this season. Tikka ctr 20" suppressed very fun to shoot. The 6.5cm has pretty much no kick, factory stock and flies flatter out to 1000 then a .308.

Question says it all. The 22s, 6mm, 6.5, and .338 bore are all pretty common here but it I think it's safe to say the big 7mms and 30s are the unchallenged all range all purpose hunting versatility kings. I bet pretty much everyone on here has at least one 7mm or 30 caliber rifle.

im a 30 guy myself, .300 win mag being my favourite cartridge to play with, .30-30 being what I learned to shoot centerfire rifle with.

but I only bought my first .300 because my other rifle was a .270 win and I wanted a more significant difference in performance than what a 7 would gain. No regrets. But if I didn't already have a 270 I may have gone 7mm mag and had no reason for a .300 or a 270, who knows?

the 7mms are objectively the best of all worlds for long range hit probability. The 180 eld m for example has a bc of .79. There are no similar bc bullets of lesser diameter that I'm aware of and to exceed this bc significantly starts at the 250 atip or such. That's a huge jump. Not to many 30s, if any, will be launching a 225-250 grain at comprable speeds to a 7stw or 28 Nosler with that 180, and if they do it won't be in as portable or pleasant to shoot package.

that said, I maintain the big 30s hit and affect big game very noticeably harder than the 6.5, .270, and 7mm cartridges so they get the nod from me

Now for the just for fun question. If you could only own and shoot either a 7mm or a .30, not both, which would you choose?
I'd look into Sherman Wildcats and look at then 7ss. Also I'd go with a either a 7.5 or 8 twist barrel and nothing slower especially if you plan on shooting the 195's from berger.

I've got lots of 30 cal rifles including 300 win and 300 rum but my favorite long range rifle is still the 7mag. Suppressed (always) I can see hits in the scope, it's much easier to spot when shooting alone.

I shot my first center fire rifle and it was a .30-06. The first rifle I bought was a .30-06. I currently own 2 .30 cal rifles and one larger .338 RUM and a lot smaller .264 and smaller. I like my .264 creedmoor (haha) for deer but will probably have to say I'd take the .30 cal over any other if I could only have one. I've got a lot of bullets and powder for that.

That's impossible to answer my 7Wby is a tack driver at any distance and so is my 300Saum.

Great post, Thanks. 7mm mag without any doubt.

300 Terminator a 338 Lapua necked to .308 with a 40degree shoulder 225-250 gr at over 3000fps

I killed everything from age 12 to 26 with a 25-06. When my kids got to hunting age, 12 in California I got my son a 270 and my daughter a 7mm-08. My Grandpa's 270 was pretty long and heavy for my son so I switched him to shorter 308. I handloaded light loads for both kids and they both were very successful taking deer and hogs out to 300 yds. It was very obvious that the 30 caliber would drop animals quicker, leave a better blood trail and would be more effective on marginal hits. For that reason I bought a 300 win mag and never regretted it. I like that bigger hole, better blood trails and better wound channel. My son is 22 now and shoots a 7 mag and my daughter still shoots her 7mm-08. I'm a huge fan of the 7mm cal, but for an all around rifle from Blacktail to Moose I would rather carry a 30 cal.