7mm mag

I have taken 2 mule bucks and on antelope buck with 140 gr Nos BT H4350 2 grains less than the threshold of brass extractor groove growth, 3.34" 3400 fps, out to 477 yards. I aim for the lungs.

I have used a lot of other bullets on a lot of other deer, but the 140 gr NBT is my favorite for flat shooting bang flop.

I'm 2 inch over 100yards using a 180 Berger VLD , Retumbo and Hornady Brass..getting about 3000 fps

Attachments

• BOOMSTICK.jpg
    BOOMSTICK.jpg
    328.8 KB · Views: 128
i just got my second 7mag. i'm hoping the HSM 168 Bergers will shoot well out of it. This rifle is an a bolt II with the BOSS so it should be able to find a good grouping. anyone ever try this combo and if so, what was the sweet spot on the BOSS? brownings BOSS sweet spot chart doesn't have a reference for bergers and i'd just like to know a ballpark range of where to start so i don't burn through so much ammo.

i'd go with the bergers. the only bad thing i hear about them is that they waste meat and make a mess......but a wounded deer not found is a waste of meat too. i've gone from the SST's that grouped exceptionally well in my last season's go to gun but didn't penetrate through the biggest two bucks i shot last season. they expanded but didn't penetrate. so i switched to a tougher bullet and it penetrated but didn't expand much so there was still no blood trail. i still found all 3 bucks but i don't like trailing/searching for deer. so now i do like i always do and finally and painstakingly do what my mentor suggests and switched to the bergers. he says they were designed with expansion in mind but i've never seen one not penetrate through anywhere on a whitetail.

if the bergers don't group well i'd go with the barnes vortex. good expansion and penetration. just be prepared for a little tougher/longer time cleaning barrels with these all copper bullets

The 7mm is an Wonderful Round to hunt with , you can really get out there and it will lay them down too . They won't get up from a 7mm . I use a 7RUM which is a wonderful round too . It's a caliber that to me is good to reach out there .

I have a question too : a friend was cleaning his rifle and it dropped onto the scope , the scope looks fine not a scratch on it , but how would or could you tell if something internal was wrong with it ? I told him to redo his rings and bases in case he knocked that loose . But how could he know if that drop damaged his scope ???

I thank you for your answer and input !!!

I have built (5) 7mmRM; Mauser, Mauser, Mauser, Rem700, Mosin Nagant
I have (3) factory 7mmRM; Rem 700, Ruger #1, Browning 1885.

That is (8) rifles, but I have only killed big game with (4) of them. But I can tell from shooting targets that this cartridge is my best chance for extending my range. Right now I have rated myself out to 500 yards.

I do ok with my 300WinMag and 270 rifles, but not as good. I have rated myself to 400 yards with them. Today I am building a 6mmRem.. but I compulsivity build more rifles.

The past two years in the Rem700 I built and the Browning 1885 it has been 140 gr Nos Bal Tip moly 3.34" 70 gr H4350 3400 fps.

Prior years it was 150 gr and 120 gr Nos Bal tips , 162 gr Horn SST, and the VLDs and TSXs that did not work out.

For deer, anything out of a 7MM Rem Mag will work.

I handload 65 different cartridges.
I consider 7mmRM the best, everything else is a handicap for deer.
But I do shoot deer with other cartridges, just to keep it interesting.

The past two years in the Rem700 I built and the Browning 1885 it has been 140 gr Nos Bal Tip moly 3.34" 70 gr H4350 3400 fps.

Prior years it was 150 gr and 120 gr Nos Bal tips , 162 gr Horn SST, and the VLDs and TSXs that did not work out.

How was the meat damage, if any, on these?

I get good terminal ballistics from Nos BT and Hornady SST.

ok from Nos accubond

Terrible from Berger hunting VLD [I think I am pushing the 7mmRM too hard for them to kill at close range]

If having trouble with the vld Berger's try the Berger classic hunters lot easier to get to shoot in a factory rifle

The VLD hunting bullets shoot groups in paper targets, they just leave pin holes in the animal. And I have to shoot them again and again.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.