7mm Dakota Max?

Autorotate19

Last year my brother bought one of the gunwerks prototypes from when they first started building rifles. Its a 7mm Dakota, looks like a high tech specialties stock, Remington 700 action, with a 26" barrel. It has a Leupold VX3 exactly the same configuration as the grey bull precision scopes. The load that came with the rifle was 72 grains of H1000 with Berger 180gr vld, 3.315 OAL, with CCI 250 mag primer. The velocity printed on his turret is 3,050, but with my hand loads I made for him matching that load are only producing around 2,980. Is this load near max? I have got pressure signs on a few cases. What kind of velocity should I expect when Im at max with this cartridge.

Did you chronograph the loads that came from Gunwerks? It would be interesting to know. For all you know their load is slower than yours!

As for max load for the rifle...sounds like you are there. What actual signs of high pressure are you seeing?

There are so many variables when reloading it would be hard to pin down the reason why your load is slower yet shows pressure signs.

How did you size the brass? Was the original load with unfired brass? Heck, did you pull a bullet and actually weigh one of the charges of the Gunwerks load?

More evidence is needed to pin down the reason.

i wonnder if you are at a lower elevation that where they got their velocities. 80 fps aint much, and if your a few thousand feet diffrent it could be a part of it.

The other thing is I bet your lot # of H1000 is diffrent and thats giving you grieff. I would just enter you data and see how it matches up to the faster data, and see how far out you can use the scope to. Id bet there close to 700 yards.

This is the exact reason I own scope that dail in MOA.

The rifle only came with dies, no loaded rounds. I shot my velocities at around 3,000' and 60 degrees. The turret that came with the rifle is for only 2,000'. I just recently got the rifle from him to dial it in. When he first bought it we were shooting it at around 900 yards at 3000 feet and the gun was shooting roughly a minute low when I dialed the correct drops. But also this was straight out of the box and he didn't double check the zero. What Im going to do now is shoot it long range again see what my drops are to confirm my velocity. The pressure signs I'm seeing are ejector marks every once in awhile. This is on once fired brass, partially full length sized. Its just a little confusing. Thanks for all the help.

You can re zero your scope on dial , at a reasonable range for you to shoot or your max. and put the difference in dial at closer range where it has less difference. So you 2'' high at say 2-300, will have little affect for hunting purpose. This is how they dealt with difference in their earlier years, or new dial, or just make the dial you have w/correction.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.