7mm: Cutting Edge 155gr MTH vs. Berger 168gr VLD?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by davkrat, Apr 26, 2015.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. davkrat

davkrat Well-Known Member

Anyone have any experience with both bullets out of a 7mm Rem Mag? The advertised BC's are almost identical .610 vs. .617 I'm thinking that practicing with the Berger VLD and hunting in lead free California with the Cutting Edge might be ideal. I have found a similar combo in my .308 with Nosler Custom Competitions and ETips.

2. Dosh

Dosh Well-Known Member

Dave, practice with the bullet you will hunt with.

3. davkrat

That's what I do currently with the ETips. I'm sick of the copper fouling :)

4. Ridgerunner665

Ridgerunner665 Well-Known Member

5. davkrat

I'm seriously considering that. I just did the Final Finish kit and we will see what that does. The final ten bullets are apparently nothing but coated bullets for burnishing.

6. HarryN

HarryN Well-Known Member

I was going to suggest the GS Custom 284140HV189 but it is a bit lower BC at .485.

Based on the design, the GS HV might foul a bit less that the others. The HVs are on my list to test in the 270 win, but have not gotten there yet.

7. davkrat

Other than the fouling I have been very happy with the ETips. I won't feel handicapped if I stick with them. I don't usually shoot that many bullets through my 7mm each shooting session anyways so even at the price of the CE or GS it would not be prohibitively expensive to practice with them.

8. Outlaw6.0

Outlaw6.0 Well-Known Member

With the CEB being of a bore-rider design, you aren't going to see as much fouling as you do with an E-Tip or Barnes. At least, that has been my observation.

If your testing goes anything like many of ours, you will find the CEB to be one of your most accurate bullets. They really shoot! They seem to kill well & i've never had to wait for them (other than shipping time).

I say let'er rip & share with us what you find.

t

9. snox801

snox801 Well-Known Member

Ya I've had the same with CE bullets are amazing. Especially the raptors for the closer stuff.

10. AKGuide

AKGuide Well-Known Member

I agree with Outlaw6.0 fully. The bullets flat out shoot and haven't fouled as bad as I thought they would. The velocities have been good too and the bearing surface on the max type bullets are surprisingly low.

Reuben

11. RockZ

RockZ Well-Known Member

Have you verified the BC on the 155 s?
    If they check out will be a great bullet to shoot in a standard .284 win.

12. Makaira

Makaira Well-Known Member

Do you guys prefer the MTH or the Raptors for hunting.My 257 Weatherby will be my deer/antelope rifle both in California and out of state.

13. Outlaw6.0

Outlaw6.0 Well-Known Member

MTH for me, the BC of the Raptor is terrible in comparison.

t

14. theodoreh

theodoreh Active Member

How is the terminal performance of the mth?