7mm bullet choices

1:8 may not be a bad idea, especially given the writing is on the wall with the future of lead core bullets. The 7mm 168 Barns LRX is advertised with needing a 1:8 twist.

To be honest, I'm not really sure what the down side to having a faster twist barrel is. Maybe it puts a bit more wear on the barrels???

Faster twists are hard on thinner bullet jackets and can loosen groups on bullets that aren't nearly perfect... They can also build a bit more pressure for a given load combo than a slower twist barrel...

Faster twists are hard on thinner bullet jackets and can loosen groups on bullets that aren't nearly perfect... They can also build a bit more pressure for a given load combo than a slower twist barrel...

i just got 1:8 7mm wsm 28" barrel and Berger 168vlds do not seem to be having any issue accuracy wise.

I tried barnes lrx in my old barrel but the price was not right a hard to between long range hunting with vld's.

I have killed 4 elk with my old barrel (stock savage) with berger 168 vld from 20 to 427 yards. I did purposely aim well behind shoulder on 20 yard one. Not willing to test if the bullet can puncher throw a shoulder on a live animal that close.

i just got 1:8 7mm wsm 28" barrel and Berger 168vlds do not seem to be having any issue accuracy wise.

I tried barnes lrx in my old barrel but the price was not right a hard to between long range hunting with vld's.

I have killed 4 elk with my old barrel (stock savage) with berger 168 vld from 20 to 427 yards. I did purposely aim well behind shoulder on 20 yard one. Not willing to test if the bullet can puncher throw a shoulder on a live animal that close.
I didn't notice any issues with my 9" twist 7rem either with 171-180 grain offerings. I suspect it is the extra vel. and the fast twist together with full pressure. I doubt I'd see any issues with the 180's full throttle in a 8" twist 7wsm or 7rem at all either.

The game seems to change a bit when you can pass 3,000 fps with these bullets. Even my 7rum and it's 9" twist seems to want mild loads, but even mild loads in her are at 3080 fps average.

I run 162 Amax on top of h1000 in my stw and have killed quite a few Bulls in that 750-1100 range with good luck. Good expansion and good penetration

I've had great luck with the Berger 168 VLD's over Retumbo out of my Tikka 7mm, 3000fps, last 3 cows were anywhere from 70-550yrds (all one shot), before that I shot 2 bulls at 465 & 520, the 520 bull took two shots! One would have killed him just wanted a quick kill! My boy shot a buffalo last year with them in the chest and I would suggest a more solid bullet for those big boys, they are thick! Or a head shot. Great accuracy!

There is usually very little to choose between the 168 and 180 VLD. Loaded to the same muzzle energy level, the 180 will have a bit more energy and a bit less wind deflection at 1000 yards. I try both and use whichever yields the best groups.

Thanks for all the help guys! It looks like the 168 VLD has a good following.
I've ordered a box each of those & the 150 long range accubonds & I guess I'll see which the rifle prefers.
I received my barrel yesterday, so I'll get it spun on & headspaced tomorrow & start playing :)
I'm hoping I can find a good load before October.

at 3000fps at muzzle, you should have enough out to 800 yd on elk. Not sure what an 280 ackley produces at the muzzle, I have 7mm wsm and 3000 is easy and 3150 closer to where I am at without pushing it.

I see no reason for me to shot 180's unless I want to reach past 1000 yd routinely on paper.

Run you muzzle velocity through Ballistics for ea. and see which one would fit better for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.