7mm RM. IMR-7828 Bullet choice

badbowtie15

Working on an elk load for my father's 7mm RM. He has always shot 175gr Sierra GK. I feel that there may be better elk bullet choices. He has IMR-7828 powder on hand. Wondering if anyone shoots 175 gr Nosler Partitions or Hornady ELD-x with IMR-7828?

The partition might be better at close range, and the ELD-X might be better at long range, but the 175 gamekings is an excellent all around bullet for Elk. If you've got them already, I'd use the heck out of them.

I've loaded those for years in a buddies 7 rum, and he's killed a pile of animals with it, never had an issue with that bullet.

I used to load 175gr partitions in an 25yr old custom 7mm with a 9twist. It took 62.5 grains of IMR7828 with Win brass.
The 175s shot about 3-3.5" at 300 yards and i shot that load for a few years with no compaints.
This particular gun favors 160gr partitions for accuracy so I load the 160s now. Both 160 and 175 partitions have taken elk with no issues.

I load partitions in 4 family member rifles and I've always found accuracy about 40-70 fps below the published max velocities in the nosler manuals. And, they all like to jump between .040-.050 off the lands for these rifles.

The partition might be better at close range, and the ELD-X might be better at long range, but the 175 gamekings is an excellent all around bullet for Elk. If you've got them already, I'd use the heck out of them.

I've loaded those for years in a buddies 7 rum, and he's killed a pile of animals with it, never had an issue with that bullet.
Curious what powder where you using in your buddies rum?

Eldx are known to separate. They are not bonded. I'd stick with gk if rifle shoots them good over the eldx. Speer Grand slam nosler accubond hammer bullets. Any particular reason for 175?

I would choose the partition over the gk or eldx. I prefer a bonded bullet for elk but the gk has killed countless elk throughout the years. IMR 7828 works well from my 280 AI and will work well with the 7RM. What part of PA are you located? Far western PA here.

Ok. I really appreciate the input.

Eldx are known to separate. They are not bonded. I'd stick with gk if rifle shoots them good over the eldx. Speer Grand slam nosler accubond hammer bullets. Any particular reason for 175?
Because that's the bullet he chose to use in 1980 and he's never changed since. haha Probably taken 30 whitetail and bear or two with that load.

I would choose the partition over the gk or eldx. I prefer a bonded bullet for elk but the gk has killed countless elk throughout the years. IMR 7828 works well from my 280 AI and will work well with the 7RM. What part of PA are you located? Far western PA here.
Great. Thanks for the input. I'm in central PA, just north of Harrisburg.

I killed a cow elk this year at ~200yds with 7RM 160 Partition. I was shooting a factory load that gave me < 0.7 MOA.

I saw the impact concussion clearly - knew it should be a good double lung shot. She went into very thick brush. Not much of a blood trail - had me worried at first but found her less than 50yds away with an exit wound a little under an inch.

Turned out that the terminal ballistics pulled the hide away from the rib cage and created a large cavity. There was a lot of blood in that cavity.