7mm/6.5 Weatherby RPM

Rich,
Think this would run neck and neck with your 28? I'm leaning towards a 280AI just for ease of conversion. I have a Ruger M77 Mkii in 25-06 that needs a new barrel and I have 0 rifles in 7mm (wife does have a 7-08).

Rich,
Think this would run neck and neck with your 28? I'm leaning towards a 280AI just for ease of conversion. I have a Ruger M77 Mkii in 25-06 that needs a new barrel and I have 0 rifles in 7mm (wife does have a 7-08).
It would run closer to my Max. The 28 SM would outrun it by 150-200'

It's a shame brass has been very hard to find for the RPM. My cousin was putting together a custom build early this year and I told him about the 6.5 RPM but couldn't find brass anywhere for it. That's the biggest problem with Weatherby cartridges in my opinion. He ended up doing a 6.5 Sherman. Lots of .270 brass laying around but takes a little work to form but at least there's brass.

be a bit of work but the 9.3 brenneke case could theoretically make 6.5 rpm brass as it shares case dimensions to the neck/ shoulder joint but would take process to form it to fit ... but in shortage times one has to be creative ... and necking down and shaving a rim isnt horrible

IMG_20200331_085143.jpg

Here is a photo of a 9.3X64 Brenneke case and a 6.5RPM case. One can see evidence of the rim being turned down. The case on the left is my 6.5Coyle wildcat. Both hold the same amount of water.

I think the 6.5 RPM is dead as a factory cartridge. Weatherby shot themselves in the foot by releasing it and hyping it up then not having ammo, dies, brass, or data available for it for months. It's a great design and awesome idea. I love the .284 case and this just makes it better. I think it's done though.

1605893252158.png

Here is what the case looks like now that the barrel has been bored to 8mm. It fires the Hammer Hunter at 3,054 feet per second. One can never redo the first three shots. They made a 1/4" group! I then fired two more and the group opened to 9/16". By the way when loaded like this one to fit the magazine there is .400" jump to the rifling. That is the only way I work up loads for my hunting rifle.

I think the 6.5 RPM is dead as a factory cartridge. Weatherby shot themselves in the foot by releasing it and hyping it up then not having ammo, dies, brass, or data available for it for months. It's a great design and awesome idea. I love the .284 case and this just makes it better. I think it's done though.
Just like the guys who said it was dead because they dont offer it in the vanguard line. Next people will say it's dead because the brass quality.
Everything you listed was available as soon as the rifles were. It isn't abnormal to try and generate interest before supply peaks.
Every mfg ever to release a "new product " in january at shot show doesnt deliver until the following summer/fall and those products seem to be able to survive.

I mean look at it compared to the 6.5 PRC. One is popular one isn't even talked about. The RPM is a good round, but I don't ever hear about it. No one is buying them or building them. We were going to build one but couldn't find brass for months. So we went a different route. Nothing wrong with the cartridge, just marketing and how poorly Weatherby brought it about.

View attachment 226543
Here is what the case looks like now that the barrel has been bored to 8mm. It fires the Hammer Hunter at 3,054 feet per second. One can never redo the first three shots. They made a 1/4" group! I then fired two more and the group opened to 9/16". By the way when loaded like this one to fit the magazine there is .400" jump to the rifling. That is the only way I work up loads for my hunting rifle.
Why don't you put it in a rifle with a longer magazine if you have to jump that far? Or shorten the freebore on the reamer.

I mean look at it compared to the 6.5 PRC. One is popular one isn't even talked about. The RPM is a good round, but I don't ever hear about it. No one is buying them or building them. We were going to build one but couldn't find brass for months. So we went a different route. Nothing wrong with the cartridge, just marketing and how poorly Weatherby brought it about.
The prc was an existing cartridge that hornady borrowed and hyped up heavily. So it already had a following and customer base. It also had a 1 year lag from introduction to on shelf availability 4 years later and it's starting to get some great brass offerings.
It's also open source so its chambered in everyone's rifle including some very Inexpensive ones. That's never been weatherbys M.O
There is a subset that will never own a weatherby cartridge and they'll always have a reason to dismiss them

Recent Posts