7mm-300 Win Mag

Thanks Broz I may make up a dummy case or two with these measurements and check into the hart barrels. I really think that the 7-300 win mag with the 195 may just be a hammer. It certnly can do it with the 180s. I really didn't want to build a 7 any bigger this looks like just what I was looking for. I have some win brass and can get some Norma brass from a bud for cheap he owes me hopefully this will be as good as your RWS.

Thanks Broz I may make up a dummy case or two with these measurements and check into the hart barrels. I really think that the 7-300 win mag with the 195 may just be a hammer. It certnly can do it with the 180s. I really didn't want to build a 7 any bigger this looks like just what I was looking for. I have some win brass and can get some Norma brass from a bud for cheap he owes me hopefully this will be as good as your RWS.

Actually I feel you will be fine with WW brass as it has a larger case capacity and that will reduce the pressure in this chambering. Not ure of case volume on the norma but it should be very good brass, especially if it has a similar case volume as WW.

I feel this case is the perfect match for a 7mm. And with the first rifle aproaching 1000 rounds now, it is proving to be the best 7mm chambering I have owned for sure. That rifle is still a tack driver, it has taken 3 yotes in the last week all around 500 yards and fast shooting around livestock. Still a 1/2 moa rifle at 1000 too.

Jeff

That is good to hear Broz sounds like you can't go wrong with this round. I think that any bigger your just over bore and should step up to a 30 or 338 but that's just my 2 cents.

I'm still waiting on my barrel, but its a 7x300wby .150" throat, no turn. With the neck legth of the weatherby case it should go a 1000 rounds and spit them out faster than a stw, it was to be a 7wsm for a friend, he backed out, so I had this match chamber put in instead, from the data I've collected on here and other sights, people say 32-3300fps with 180 bergers pretty easily. Just a thought.

That's a great round as well but just a bit bigger than I want. I was looking at the 7-300 win mag just for the fact it looks like the barrel may last just a hair longer and the shorter case will let me feed it out of a mag while setting the bullets out.

Backwoods, I have done both the 7 STW and 7mm-300 wby since the 70's and own both now. They are the best you can get in 7mm. Any bigger and you get into to much of a barrel burner and not much gain in velocity. Either of these will outperform the 7mm-300 winchester with no difference in barrel life. So close that how you take care of it makes more difference than the chambering. That is why they have been so popular since the 70's and the 7mm-300 winchester has not been. The 7mm-300 wby and 7mm STW have both held numerous 1000 yard bench records and been top chamberings for that purpose since the 70's. I own seven 7mm-300 wby's and 7mm STW's and no 7mm-300 winchesters. There is a reason for that.

For your 7mm-300 wby you can get remington or nosler 300 wby brass and save money over the 300 wby brand brass.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hey Long Range, maybe you should have titled this thread as " What is your personal opinion of what you feel is a better round than the 7mm-300 win and how many do you own" :D:D

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hey Long Range, maybe you should have titled this thread as " What is your personal opinion of what you feel is a better round than the 7mm-300 win and how many do you own" :D:D

To the OP, as far as the 7-300WM, I think it is a great round and am in the process of putting one together to shoot the 180's without a brake.
I think the 195's will be good as well, but would be more interested in those out of a 284 JAZZ (7-338 Norma AI) case capacity

Broz and any other shooters of the 25 degree shoulder 7-300 Win, what's the case capacity (water or powder) of your once fired cases?

Does it offer a sig case capacity advantage over existing Norma brass 7mm offerings like the 7mm Rem, 7 Wby, etc?

Not meaning to side track the OPs post....I've got a mag bolt face 7mm build going and looking to decide as well.

Broz and any other shooters of the 25 degree shoulder 7-300 Win, what's the case capacity (water or powder) of your once fired cases?

Does it offer a sig case capacity advantage over existing Norma brass 7mm offerings like the 7mm Rem, 7 Wby, etc?

Tim, It is what I would call significantly larger than a 7mm Rem but a little smaller in volume than the wby. In my opinion where it shines is that the case is as large as I feel you want to go with a 7 and not see a quickly erroding throat like with most of the larger chamberings. Plus, you can get RWS brass which is smaller in volume than WW or RP brass but the RWS is good brass and tough as nails. I have not tried the norma brass with it yet but I plan to with the one I have going together now n a Mark V. I seen the highest velocity with WW brass in the 28 1/2" barrel. This rifles showed 3195 to 3205 on the chrony with no pressure signs but drops to 1200 yards worked out at 3175 MV. with 180's so I say 3175. I got over the velocity kick years ago with rifles that needed a new tube as soon as I got drops worked out and started to practice with it. I do not buy into the " velocity makes it a better long range rig" stuff. You know how much I shoot, there are many more things to consider than speed, velocity is no match for knowing a rifle and lots of practice before starting over with a new tube. The older I get the more I see the value in shooting ONE rifle alot. That is the only way I feel you can get to know it well in any situation.

Jeff

Autorotate I don't know what the case capacity of a fired round would be but it will be close to a 300 win mag.
Case capacity in h2o
7Rm = 83.2 grains WW brass
7Wby Mag = 87.5 Wby brass
300 Win Mag or 7-300 Win Mag = 90.4 grains WW brass
300 Wby Mag = 100.4 grains Wby brass
7 Stw = 99 grains Rp brass

Tim, It is what I would call significantly larger than a 7mm Rem but a little smaller in volume than the wby. In my opinion where it shines is that the case is as large as I feel you want to go with a 7 and not see a quickly erroding throat like with most of the larger chamberings. Plus, you can get RWS brass which is smaller in volume than WW or RP brass but the RWS is good brass and tough as nails. I have not tried the norma brass with it yet but I plan to with the one I have going together now n a Mark V. I seen the highest velocity with WW brass in the 28 1/2" barrel. This rifles showed 3195 to 3205 on the chrony with no pressure signs but drops to 1200 yards worked out at 3175 MV. with 180's so I say 3175. I got over the velocity kick years ago with rifles that needed a new tube as soon as I got drops worked out and started to practice with it. I do not buy into the " velocity makes it a better long range rig" stuff. You know how much I shoot, there are many more things to consider than speed, velocity is no match for knowing a rifle and lots of practice before starting over with a new tube. The older I get the more I see the value in shooting ONE rifle alot. That is the only way I feel you can get to know it well in any situation.

Jeff

Me three :D

Thanks for the info as always. 3175 fps 180 Berger....you might be able to push the new 195s near 3000. Hope the twist works out that you can shoot both.

If you get bored in the shop one day, and measure up what your 7/300 Win cases hold, just to confirm data like the one published below....

Autorotate I don't know what the case capacity of a fired round would be but it will be close to a 300 win mag.
Case capacity in h2o
7Rm = 83.2 grains WW brass
7Wby Mag = 87.5 Wby brass
300 Win Mag or 7-300 Win Mag = 90.4 grains WW brass
300 Wby Mag = 100.4 grains Wby brass
7 Stw = 99 grains Rp brass

I'm thinking a 3000 fps 180 VLD might do all I need it do. Hmmm...

I just did some PMC brass from the 7-300wm I did 21 years ago and it held 89.5gr of water. The case weighed 250.8grs but it's been trimmed too. The RWS cases I have weigh 273grs. I didn't check capacity because they are new cases. I didn't look to see if I had any WW cases. I probably do from a .300wm but they would have to be necked down.

A 7mm Remington chamber is larger than a 7mm Weatherby. The Weatherby case is about .050" longer but it is all in the neck. The Remington case is longer to the shoulder and to the shoulder neck junction. I've been using Weatherby cases in my 7mm for many years. I trimmed the necks and fire formed the Weatherby cases in my 7mm Remington.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.