7MM-08 Long Range

Thanks for the input guys. I know I'll have to work out the longer ranges especially since the 1000 yarder is a couple hours away and it won't be used until I get brave :).
Thanks again for all of the input..................glad I found this site :D

Thanks for the input guys. I know I'll have to work out the longer ranges especially since the 1000 yarder is a couple hours away and it won't be used until I get brave :).
Thanks again for all of the input..................glad I found this site :D

Hollywood,

I say take that 7-08 and run with it. I'm shooting a Rem 700 Mtn Rifle with a B&C stock as my sheep rifle in 7-08. No, I would never shoot that straw thin barrel in competition. I have to wait 5 min between shots to keep the barrel cool. It has taken me quite a while, but my current load shoots the 162 Amax at 2653fps avg with a stout load of H100V. And it fits in my stock magazine. H414 did decent, but the 100V gave me single digit ES and SD. I can hold .5 or less MOA out to 600 and I wouldn't hesitate to shoot it at 1000, but I'd rather shoot my bull barrel guns at that distance.

Have fun and welcome to the site!

The 7/08 is a wonderful cartridge and a very capable cartridge at any distance out to 1,000 yards with the right barrel, twist and bullet.

I have taken 3 deer at over 500 yards with my 7/08 pistol and 150 grain Ballistic tips and for many years the 1000 yard matches at camp Perry OH
was won using a 7/08. I would not consider it a 1000 yard hunting cartridge because of the POI energies at that distance, but out to 6 or 700 yards it will work on deer size game.

The 7/08 AI will bump it up about 100 ft/sec if you like Improved cartridges.

J E CUSTOM

the Great 708 earned its reputation on the Silhouette free style line.there it show its worth by slamming and knocking down steel,its main competition was its Brother the also Great 308 WCF. bac then the 9.25 twist did very well twists are ever evolving today,follow your passion burn that 9.25 barrel up in practice and you'll be a Riflemen giving guidance here as well, powder ? imr 4895 and h4895, Varget, mine dots on h4350, lots of great answers as usual,130s 140s 150s 160s try themall..., slower powders with heavier bullets , faster powder with lite bullets , but the new super powders really excel , Experiment read , read ,like minds fine eachother , Congrat's on your Beauy 700 bdl 708 rifle. jjmp

I recently started playing with the 150gr ELD-X in my Sav 16 LW. IMR 4895 and H4350 are both looking pretty good at 200 (multiple 3 shot "groups" under an inch). Chrony has been acting up, so not sure of the velocity yet.

that's good shooting sundance and two great powders, my 708's a rebarreled 243 bbr, pre-a-bolt,Browning yes I LOV them.....Lilja cm#3contur 27 inch1/9 tw, and she dots on the 150's & 160's , tried the SMKT 160's best 300 yd group cto c for 3 shots 3/8 moa, tmv was 2720 ish.

With factory twisted barrels you should be able to shoot 162/8gr at or near 2700fps from a 22".
As for the berger site showing the need for faster twists they changed a lot of bullets to need faster twists on their site in 2016 sometime. I have no idea why. They also upped their bc's about the time when the eld was being talked about.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.