7mm-08 Bullet Choice for Stone Sheep inside of 500 yards

Which bullet for stone sheep hunt inside of 500 yards w/ 7mm-08?

• Barnes TTSX 120

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nosler Ballistic Tip 140

• Nosler Ballistic Tip 150

• Hornady ELDX 150

• Speer Hot Core 145

• Total voters
Last year I sent a 150 BT straight through both lungs and both ribcages of a nice size buck at 325 yards.
I don't know what the impact velocity was but it started out at 2900+ from my 284 Win.
The buck humped and began to walk slowly and laid down. Took a few minutes to drown in blood.
Upon inspection... exit hole was only slightly larger than entrance hole.
Tells you how tough the 150's are.
That's why I'd say 140 BT.

Last year I sent a 150 BT straight through both lungs and both ribcages of a nice size buck at 325 yards.
I don't know what the impact velocity was but it started out at 2900+ from my 284 Win.
The buck humped and began to walk slowly and laid down. Took a few minutes to drown in blood.
Upon inspection... exit hole was only slightly larger than entrance hole.
Tells you how tough the 150's are.
That's why I'd say 140 BT.
Ive had similar experiences with accubonds and NP on whitetails. They are fine for people who just want one bullet for everything, but I don't think they are ideal for thin skinned game

Yep. Agree.
Those have a need for speed.
I have since developed a load with 150 ABLR.
Haven't shot game yet but I'll know this winter.
I'm hoping I'll get the best of both expansion and penetration out of my 284 Win.

One not on the list but a tough lil' MF'r is the 120 BT going fast!
500 may be a bit far for it though...(wind and drop)

Yep. Agree.
Those have a need for speed.
I have since developed a load with 150 ABLR.
Haven't shot game yet but I'll know this winter.
I'm hoping I'll get the best of both expansion and penetration out of my 284 Win.

One not on the list but a tough lil' MF'r is the 120 BT going fast!
500 may be a bit far for it though...(wind and drop)
Yeah I only have half a box of those 120 BTs. They are hard to come by. Same concerns which are the same for the TTSX 120

I have not gone on a sheep hunt so maybe I should not give an opinion. How about a question? I can see around 350 yards, but can the 7mm-08 really do a clean kill on 500?

Accubonds are a tougher, bonded bullet. Ive killed many things with them, but I don't think they are preferred for deer, antelope, or sheep over the ballistic tip, especially once you get out past 300 yards. In my experience with those species, the BT gives "dead right there" performance whereas the accubond often pencil holes in those species if you don't hit bone. If we were talking about elk inside of 400 yards, or hogs at close range, yeah accubond.
I've used accubond on deer without issue.
Agreed ballistic tip are DRT and accuracy is excellent.

I have not gone on a sheep hunt so maybe I should not give an opinion. How about a question? I can see around 350 yards, but can the 7mm-08 really do a clean kill on 500?
Below is for the 140 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip @ 2647 fps MV, which is a fairly mild load for the 7mm-08. So at 500 yards you are still exceeding the manufacturers minimum velocity (of 1800 fps) for expansion by 129 fps, and actually are carrying 1800 all the way to 600. Over 300, what concerns me most is wind.
1689705539869.png

1689705331124.png

I really don't want to shoot past 300 if I can help it, but if conditions are right, and I feel confident in the shot, I want to have the option.

Below is for the 140 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip @ 2647 fps MV, which is a fairly mild load for the 7mm-08. So at 500 yards you are still exceeding the manufacturers minimum velocity (of 1800 fps) for expansion by 129 fps, and actually are carrying 1800 all the way to 600. Over 300, what concerns me most is wind.
View attachment 479014

View attachment 479013

I really don't want to shoot past 300 if I can help it, but if conditions are right, and I feel confident in the shot, I want to have the option.
As expensive as Stone sheep hunts are, I would bring something like a 28N or a 300 RUM but I suspect this isn't your first sheep hunt.

Can't make a decision on the best bullet for you, but would pick the one that is the most accurate at 500 yds. Sheep aren't that tough and don't go far if hit in the right place. This thread brings back memories of my Stone hunt many years ago, while sitting here looking at the mount. Are you hunting in the areas that have dark (black) rams?