700 yard bull elk

Outstanding goodgrouper and Megan. Great shooting and congratulations on a very nice bull.

JD338

GG, 1st congrat's to Megan on her outstanding bull. You could not said it better regarding how well she handled herself and performed under pressure with a bunch of guys watching over her shoulder. gun)

I am curious about your rifle and it's barrel. What is the twist?

As promised, here's some pics of the bull elk I helped kill this week. It wasn't really long range or the biggest bull on the mountain but considering it was shot on the second to last day of the hunt and the hunter was a bit intimidated by "old green", I think it's noteworthy.

I especially loved the bullet mushroom. This bullet went through some scrub oak, through the neck, into the shoulder, ran down the length of the spine and stopped under the sixth broken vertebrae. Gotta love those .338's!

The elk went down like it had been hit by lightning and the classic "whhhopp" was probably heard for miles. Ok, maybe not quite that far but it could be heard quite clearly from where I was even through the pouring rain.

I haven't scored it yet but I like the uniqueness of it and it's got lots of character. It's an old bull and definitely on the downhill side of life. Sure wish I could have seen this bull several years ago.

Anyhow, specs are:

225 grain .338 Accubond at 3310 fps (I usually shoot the 300 grain SMK but I didn't want to abuse the poor girl with recoil so I chambered an accubond for her as it recoils significantly less)
7.5 MOA up/ 15 degree angle
Leupold VXIII 6.5-20x40 LRT fine crosshair
Ranged by Swaro 1500 rangefinder at 696 but that was before the bull moved a few steps away from us.

megansbullsign.jpg

megansbull2.jpg

225accubond697.jpg

megansbull3.jpg
Way to go !! What did the rack score and about how heavy is that bull ?