865 yard Bull

CONGRATS!!!
Very nice job done. Great shot. I am glad to know that your 270WSM behaved so well in an elk at that distance. I am a 270 lover also, to shoot that far out and be successful is awesome. Congrats. Nice write up. More pics would be nice.
Thanks for sharing.

Thanks a bunch guys!! It sure was a great hunt and the shot was exactly what I was looking for, the first shot would have been dead nuts on but I though I was going to shoot under the wind coming over the ridge but when I walked down through there with the Kestrel the wind came back down along the face sooner than I had expected I sure was happy to have some good BC on my side :D Next shot from that spot will be on the dime!!

A big thanks to Broz for pushing to get dialed in tighter and learn more from each shot taken!

Roy, I've been talking with Marshal about finding the top end of the 175gr I'm thinking somewhere around 3250-3300 may be doable in the right package. I'm going to get set up to shoot some IWK's this week, I still have a wolf tag burning a hole in my pocket gun)

This is the second bull taken with the 165 Matrix in our group, my buddy shot a nice bull at 85 yards with his 270 Win, he was very happy to have a 165gr bullet instead of a 130 with the shot he had. It was heavy quartering through the spine and blew up the back of the lungs dropping him, he tried to get up so he stuck one in his neck, that 165 wrecked him!!

Last edited:
Nice shooting bud I have been wondering how your home grown rig has been performing for you. I also used the matrix this year since you turned me onto them this spring. The one shot I put through my buck performed exactly how you described. Only I was using the 168 grainer out of my 7mm rm going 3050 fps at 545 yards. They act more like a bonded bullet than a berger style. I would like to be able to recover one to see what it actually looks like after impact. But like yours it punched through both front shoulders with a golf ball sized exit. Again nice shooting.

Jason

Not the biggest but very well executed!

Now next year you can let that guy walk and look for his dad!

Good story. What did the little princess think? I'll bet she was tickled! I will bring my youngest to Townsend next spring for her to visit with. She was shooting clay pigeons at 100 on our last visit to the range. I think she likes my BL22.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts