1176 yard bull

Congrats on a great shot and nice bull!
Curious do you check/drill the tips on the Berger's you shoot?

Shane- How tight is your Browning shooting? I'm starting to BR handload for an X Bolt LR Pro because it's a 1.5MOA gun with Hornady and other premium loads... love the ergonomics, but it's not anywhere near a sub MOA gun. Thx-I have 2 x-bolt hells canyon long ranges in 300 win mag and 7mm Remington mag and my friend has the x-bolt pro in 300 win mag. All guns shoot 1/4 MOA when hand loaded with bergers. 215 bergers for the 300s and 195 bergers for the 7mm Remington mag.

ratulations Brad, success is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. This is how it's done, lots of practice and knowing your equipment. Your last comment about conditions being just right is spot on, knowing when not to pull the trigger is just as important and one of the hardest aspects to teach or overcome.

Very well said. Couldn't agree more!

Congratulations, @COBrad . Thank you for sharing!

Your hard work and time into the craft paid off! It would be good to test some different bullets such as the one you mentioned, but at those distances, from my experience, the same bullet has performed different based on what it impacts in the animal. I have had the same bullet not expand, and some mushroom perfectly at around the same distance (1000 yards+-). There are variables when the bullet impacts softer tissue vs bone.

Congrats on your hunt. I do agree with you on the bullet
There's a canyon I hunt in every fall, but with the brush the options are sitting in the timber patches or long range across the canyon. One shot from my .300 WSM did the job on this bull. Rifle was built specifically for hunting this canyon by West Elk Precision in Grand Junction Colorado. Defiance Deviant Hunter XM action, Trigger Tech, Bartlien 3b barrel, Manners EH1 stock, Nightforce atacr 5-25x56 scope. Load is Berger 215 grain Hybrid over 65 grains RL26 amd Federal 215 primers. 2817 FPS. Last two 3-shot groups fired before the hunt to confirm ballistic inputs measured just under .5 MOA at 1317 yards. Kestrel 5700 AB says 1675 FPS and 1340 remaining energy. Shot was quartering and bullet entered behind the ribs traveling length-wise, going up through a rib and coming to rest in the forward end of a backstrap. Weight is 152.9 grains. The bullets are very accurate but I'm going to look for a similarly accurate load with a bullet rated for a lower impact velocity. Thinking 210 grain Nosler ABLR or 210 gr Berger HVLD
View attachment 313414View attachment 313413View attachment 313415

Hec of a shot.Never thought a berger would stand up.I agree with the thought of the nosler long range Accubond of what I search. and hec of a nice Bull. That might be pressure cooker bull.
Berger 215?! Its basically earned it's rep for killing big bulls and bucks at long ranges!

Nice work! The 215 did wonderful. You could certainly try a softer bullet, but then make dang sure you stay off bones. 225 eld m and 230 and 250 a tips are very explosive and may fit your situation of only very long range shots? But closer they can be a bit yikes. How about the 245 berger. Extra *** behind it might come in handy. Although it's a better fit for a 300 ultra on up maybe.

There's a canyon I hunt in every fall, but with the brush the options are sitting in the timber patches or long range across the canyon. One shot from my .300 WSM did the job on this bull. Rifle was built specifically for hunting this canyon by West Elk Precision in Grand Junction Colorado. Defiance Deviant Hunter XM action, Trigger Tech, Bartlien 3b barrel, Manners EH1 stock, Nightforce atacr 5-25x56 scope. Load is Berger 215 grain Hybrid over 65 grains RL26 amd Federal 215 primers. 2817 FPS. Last two 3-shot groups fired before the hunt to confirm ballistic inputs measured just under .5 MOA at 1317 yards. Kestrel 5700 AB says 1675 FPS and 1340 remaining energy. Shot was quartering and bullet entered behind the ribs traveling length-wise, going up through a rib and coming to rest in the forward end of a backstrap. Weight is 152.9 grains. The bullets are very accurate but I'm going to look for a similarly accurate load with a bullet rated for a lower impact velocity. Thinking 210 grain Nosler ABLR or 210 gr Berger HVLD
Just can't beat those Nightforce Scopes! Good job COBrad

One heck of a shot, congratulations! My daughter and I hunted third season for buck, skunked again, but we did come across a small herd of elk with one huge bull in it but neither of us had a tag. The farthest I could range in the direction they were headed was 997 yards, I figured they were another 400 past that. It's amazing to me that guys on this forum have all of the necessary equipment to make a shot like yours. Looking at them with the naked eye and through binoculars, they were a loooooooong ways out there. Soak it in, not just anyone can make that shot

I'd say that bullet you used was a complete failure and would NOT use it again for elk.
But that sumbitch will be good eating, and nice shooting

I'd say that bullet you used was a complete failure and would NOT use it again for elk.
But that sumbitch will be good eating, and nice shooting
Only a failure at that impact velocity, and it sure didn't fail to kill the elk. Everyone expects different outcomes from a terminal ballistics perspective. Some want a mushroom found on the far hide. Some want an exit on a steep quartering angle or through dense bone, some want a Frangible bullet that shreds vitals, but we all want a quick humane death in a way that we can recover the animal. As such, complete failure it is not, although I do agree that it wouldn't generate confidence that I should take a 1100 plus yard shot again with that combo and impact velocity. I wonder how the 245 Berger would have fared. Or the 212 or heavier ELD-X. I just know I prefer impact velocities over 1800 FPS.

Good shot! For steel!