700 Sendero Question

HighKnob

I'm looking at an older 700 Rem Sendero in 300 win mag. Shooting factory winchester ammo, which is all i've tried, the bolt seems too stiff when ejecting a spent round, you need to hit it with the heel of you hand to get it to move. Any ideas of what i should look for?

Is this at the beginning of bolt lift, or at the top of the lift? Or is it after lift and moving the bolt back? Many things come to mind, but it depends on where and when it is stiff.

Jeff

First, I'm looking at it to buy. This is the only ammo we've tried. The bolt lifts just fine but you have to hit it with the heel of your hand to get it started back. Then it comes back just fine.

Thanks for checking

That typically means either the load is too hot for the gun or the chamber is oversize or rough. Basically the brass is expanding too much ahead of the belt and sticking in the chamber.

It shouldn't be too hot, it's factory Winchester ammo. I think I've read where they are prone to long chambers. Wonder if you loaded ammo head spacing off the shoulder, would it do better?

Mic and inspect the brass ahead of the belt and then compare it to a unfired round. I bet you see shiney spots. I would also see if another brand of ammo does the same thing.

Since magnums headspace off of the belt and not the shoulder you could take it to a smith and have him check the headspace in a couple of minutes. I doubt it would have a long chamber if the headspace is right. That would mean the reamers Remington used were cut wrong.

Factory ammo can be too hot in certain guns or a certain lot could be hot in a lot of guns. While it's generally safe it's not always safe.

Too long of scope base screw can interfere with the bolt operation. It's worth checking if you changed the scope base. It can be any of the three rear screws. Unlikely to be the front screw since it's over the barrel threads.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.