Rem 700 Question

DoubleGobble00

I have a factory rem 700 in 300 blackout. I want to change the bolt to 308 boltface and use the action for building another caliber like a 260AI. Is this as simple as buying another bolt to have the correct bolt face?

I'm thinking of selling the barrel and bolt then converting, or selling the barreled action then starting over with correct short action.

Thanks,

DoubleG

PT&G makes new R700 bolts in different face diameters with several additional upgrades available like bolt body fluting, M16 extractor, bolt knob options, finishes, bolt shroud options, firing pin options, oversize options, etc.

You need to change the magazine and follower if you expect to feed .473 case cartridges. The feed rails and ramp may need alterations, also. What you have is closer to a .223 action than a .260ai action. It would cost less to start with a .308/.243 action than to alter what you've got.

That's what I was afraid of... I might be better selling the whole gun and funding a new 260ai build. Only problem is, I want to keep my McMillan A5. I can find another stock for it if so...

True... my existing 308 and 300 rum need bigger boxes. My 300 win is the only gun I have that is not single feed due to length.

I need to add a 6.5 to the collection of some sort. If I start over, I may need to try a short fat 6.5. I need at least 3k velocity.

I have a factory rem 700 in 300 blackout. I want to change the bolt to 308 boltface and use the action for building another caliber like a 260AI. Is this as simple as buying another bolt to have the correct bolt face?

I'm thinking of selling the barrel and bolt then converting, or selling the barreled action then starting over with correct short action.

Thanks,

DoubleG
Buy another gun. can't have too many guns!

I agree, keep the 300BO and buy a new 700 action for around $350, chunk the trigger and replace it with a Trigger Tech, Jewel or Timney, square it up and install the barrel you want with the chamber you want in your A-5 stock or sell the barreled action from the 300 for a little extra project money. I wouldn't buy an ADL from Academy, they're seconds or thirds, rough and timed poorly and according to Remington they barely meet specs to make a saleable rifle, there's a reason they're that cheap and since you would only use it as a donor, why not buy a first class 700 action to start with for less money. Or buy a Tikka, save some money and have a great rifle. I also like the Sherman for the velocity you want

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.