Question re butt pad on Remington 700 Sendero II

jmb79

I have a Remington 700 Sendero II in .300 Win Mag. I have been thinking about replacing the factory butt pad with a Limbsaver butt pad. However, the factory buttpad does not appear to be attached to the factory HS Precision stock using screws. At least, no screw holes are visible in the butt pad.

So, can the factory butt pad be replaced? What is involved with replacing it? Do I just cut off the factory butt pad and glue on the replacement? Should I just get a muzzle brake instead?

Thanks.

Replacing butt pads is not always as straight forward as it seems but H&S butt are glued on at least the ones I have done. Your probably better off to get it cold and with care and a good putty knife break off the old pad and then you can fit another and attach it. Filler is sometimes needed because the core of the stock is to soft to hold screws or you can epxoy the fitted pad.

Good Luck
Steve

I had an original Sendero SF chambered in 338RUM and the original Decelerator pad's glue came loose without my knowing it and that rifle liked to have kicked me into another county. I finally figured out the Decelerator uses air which is compressed under it when the gun is fired to slow recoil and with the glue loosening it allowed the air to release. I went to the hardware store and bought a couple of appropriate screws and remounted it without any problem. I had to drill through the pad to install the screws.

sj-pratt and gunpoor,

Thanks for the information. I always prefer to know what I'm getting into before I start removing things installed by the manufacturer.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.