Remington Recoil Pad Question

Blacktail

I have atitanium model 700 sa on the remington ti stock. I tried to remove the recoil pad and cant seem to get it off. The screws appear to be spinning but dont loosen. I wonder if the screws are a phillips or possibly a torqex head? sorry for the dumb question.

FWIW, I recently purchased a Remington 5R stock, with a few spacers added between the stock and Pachmyer pad to increase the LOP. Didn't notice this until too late.

Anyway, the pad did not look like it was glued to an "adaper plate" on the stock, so I tried to remove the pad with a Phillips and a flat blade screw driver. No good, both just tuned down in the pad.

Got out my old trusty hack saw, I try to stay way from power tools as I screw too many things up too fast using them, and started sawing the spacers. Once I went through one screw, I could push it back out the pad, and low and behold it was a button head socket screw with the head OD turned down. I then used the appropriate size allen wrench, and promply removed the other mounting screw.

Might want to check that.

I have not had trouble with Rem700 recoil pads, but I have used the hack saw to get them off a lot of other rifles. The main problem is glue. And then I have to saw through the screws, too.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.