Rem 700 Question

Heck. Buy a action from Buds Gun Shop online. Have it shipped to your ffl. Build a whole new custom gun to your liking. That is what in doing with a 260 AI with 40 drgree shoulders.

Northland Shooters Supply. They sell a trued 700 action for about 400.00 and if you want they can send the barrel of your choice very reasonably with it.

I'd buy another gun or action. I talked to a Remington rep, and he assured me that the economy 700's differ only in the finish and stocks and are mechanically identical to the higher priced models. We use the cheap ADLs for donors in my hobby gunsmith class and have not had any issues. As far as quality contro, I have swapped barrels twice on M700s and they head spaced perfectly. Oddly, both times stamping on the barrels were exactly 180 degrees off. We lap the bolt to the reciever and face the reciever to insure that it is perpendicular to the horizontal axis and have built some nice rifles. Those ADLs are cheaper than most pawn shop prices.

If you decide to sell that blackout PM me. I need a donor to build a 224 Valkyrie from.

Will do. I started reading up on hand loading for the 300 blkout and about decided to give it a try. I never knew you could load some 110 grain Barnes around 2650fps. I may need to convert this to a kids gun. Plus the powder it would use would be nothing compared to my big calibers. It is fun to shoot. Here is what I'm working with:

B51A59AE-793F-4ACC-A40D-7F38B5CA9B4B.jpeg

Very nice setup. If you sell it I just need the barreled action so I can open the bolt face for the Valkyrie case. They are a ton of fun to shoot. Subs are useless on deer, they punch right through like they've been shot with a bow and run off. A boutique bullet like Lehigh or something may do better. The standard 150-175 doesnt expand well either. I shot 15 deer last year for farmers with the blackout. I went back to my 6br instead. I just ordered some 125s to try at super velocities. I tried one cast load with 130gr gas check that showed promise at the range but I haven't shot any deer with it yet. I custom made some 220gr round nose and drilled a cavity down to the cannelure, they worked well on a porcupine and a couple of coyotes. My Ruger is a tack driver in blackout with almost any load I feed it. It loves H110. If mine had the AR magazine set up Id use it as my donor action. 700s have more options though. Thanks for the pic. That's a nice rifle.

That's my problem with the 300 blk also. It is so fun to shoot especially subsonics but I feel under gunned each time I carry it hunting. I don't feel like a can take down a mature whitetail with it so I end up carrying my 308 or 300wm. I thought the Lehigh would do great but they keyhole every 3-4 round and are not accurate. The Hornady Amax and Xsubs shoot great but not real go so far on deer. I can't decide what I want to do. If interested in the barreled action minus trigger, shoot me a pm. I could go either way. A 6.5 in that stock I have would be fun.

I have a factory rem 700 in 300 blackout. I want to change the bolt to 308 boltface and use the action for building another caliber like a 260AI. Is this as simple as buying another bolt to have the correct bolt face?

I'm thinking of selling the barrel and bolt then converting, or selling the barreled action then starting over with correct short action.

Thanks,

DoubleG
Id buy another bolt body. You can swap out the pin/spring/ etc.

If you want to hunt with subsonic 300 blk look at Lehigh
Defense. They have some great subsonic hunting bullets.

I agree, keep the 300BO and buy a new 700 action for around $350, chunk the trigger and replace it with a Trigger Tech, Jewel or Timney, square it up and install the barrel you want with the chamber you want in your A-5 stock or sell the barreled action from the 300 for a little extra project money. I wouldn't buy an ADL from Academy, they're seconds or thirds, rough and timed poorly and according to Remington they barely meet specs to make a saleable rifle, there's a reason they're that cheap and since you would only use it as a donor, why not buy a first class 700 action to start with for less money. Or buy a Tikka, save some money and have a great rifle. I also like the Sherman for the velocity you want

When you say you wouldn't buy an ADL from Academy do you mean they sell second pr thirds or the ADL action is considered a second or third irregardless of who you buy it from?

If you go the bolt route, I have a bolt I took out of my 700 PSS that I would sell for around $150.
Academy sells seconds and thirds, you're much better off buying a first rnu receiver and going from there. Also Savage has a very reasonably priced 6.5 PRC that will get the velocity you want, be plenty accurate and you could save you Remmy, reload with the Barnes and enjoy that. Other than for longer ranges the 110 Barnes at 2600 is a great deer killer.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.