Rem 700 feed ramp question

cohunt

So I have a new short action rem700 receiver -- I've never owned a rem 700 SA before so I have nothing to compare feeds ramps to.

If I look at the feed ramp, the center portion seems to be notched a little to allow extra clearance for bullet tips to clear.

Is this normal? Or something new?

Can anyone post a pic of their rem700sa feed ramp ? I didn't take a pic of mine, but I could do so after work and post what mine looks like

Last edited:
I can on the weekend, just too flat out at the moment with work.
I can tell you that depending on cartridge it's designed for, there are several shapes that were used.
If it's a .223 based bolt head, then it will be different to a .308 sized bolt head action.

Cheers.

I can on the weekend, just too flat out at the moment with work.
I can tell you that depending on cartridge it's designed for, there are several shapes that were used.
If it's a .223 based bolt head, then it will be different to a .308 sized bolt head action.

Cheers.
308w-- I didn't get a chance to take a pic last night either-- too busy with work, got home too late

But my feed ramp is not straight acros-- it has a 1/2 oval notch in the center. I'm using an xlr aics mag with binder (2.89 coal max) and by looking at the feed ramp it looks to have plenty of clearance so no interference with bullet tips and ramp-- looks like an mdt aics mag with out binder (2.96" coal max) plate might even work without modification of the feed ramp, but I'd have to measure to be sure. -- it would be close.

If I look down from the top with the mag inserted I can clearly see the binder plate from above though the notched feed ramp. That's why I was wondering

Last edited:
If it looks something like this and it's new from the factory and never been touched then it's something new the factory is doing. In the past the notch in the photo was always added after the fact to get proper feeding with non-blinder plate magazines.

Attachments

• A1D49AD2-5683-4DB9-99E3-D647CCBE1F7B.jpeg
    A1D49AD2-5683-4DB9-99E3-D647CCBE1F7B.jpeg
    23.3 KB · Views: 64
If it looks something like this and it's new from the factory and never been touched then it's something new the factory is doing. In the past the notch in the photo was always added after the fact to get proper feeding with non-blinder plate magazines.
Yes- that's it-- it's notched like that - it is abrand new 700 too.

Recent Posts