700 extractor replacement

The M-16 and Sako extractors are machined in the same place just off of the side of the bolt lug. Either could fail and could possibly send pieces rearward I'm not denying that. But either could fail and just lock the bolt shut with pieces from the extractor and nothing flying back at you. Until someone can actually prove one is better than the other I'll just call them equal but personally prefer the sako just like I prefer Ford over Chevy.

well crap, I am not sure if I can send my bolt to you now knowing that you are a dyed in wool ford guy and I am dyed in the wool chevy LOL.
I have another new extractor coming directly from Remington and hopefully it will fit right. I am wondering if possibly the last extractor I got could have been for a 338 Lapua based remington because it sure doesn't work very well on my rum. At least it is working good enough to get the casings out so I can do some more load development. Now if I can just get my chronograph to work better, oh yeah, new one on the way.

Just got my newest replacement extractor in the mail from Remington today and just installed it. NO DIFFERENCE! I put a fired casing into the chamber and pulled the trigger, opened the bolt case still in the chamber. Closed the bolt again and this time it pulls the case. I took a casing and put it in the bolt and it grabs the case, but there is enough play at the bolt face that if I push the case away from the extractor the case comes off. I checked the bolt on my other rifle, same bolt face and it is tighter and I can't make this happen. I fired my gun at the range over the weekend and every time I fired a round, it would take an additional opening and closing of the bolt to make the casing extract. Now what, Sako extractor?

I have to give a big THANK YOU to KEVIN CRAM for installing a SAKO extractor in my bolt and doing a superb job! All this and he turned it around in one week as promised! Highly recommended and reasonable!

i h what people are saying and personaly dont have a problem with remington extractors in fact have 4 ptg bolts with the rem extractor, but was recently checking out my brother factory rem 700 338 lapua and i beleive this has a sako stlye extractor right from remington. So they must be fairly confident that they will not fail . thanks

Ok, My 7mm RUM is having a similar issue. I thought it was head space and nope. SO I then looked at the extractor and it looks pretty worn. Now for the rest of the story..... bolt is hard to close on some reloads and not others, all things being equal (I checked). I ruled out head space and brass differences. While looking at the extractor, I was inspecting the bolt face, and I believe that the groove (rivet style) the extractor goes into should continue all the way around the bolt face? there is no gradual fade of the groove it is just gone with lots of brass rub / smear? Recommendations? I know, I know, time for a new bolt. Any ideas are appreciated. BTW, the extractor is small and sharp compared to pictures I've looked at of new ones.

This all started from the hard closing of the bolt.

A lot of what you feel that's hard to close the bolt is coming from the extractor trying to snap over the rim of the case. What happens is the factory extractor bottoms out and can not spring back anymore. The extractor then cuts through the rim of the case. This is typically why you see small brass shavings on the bolt face. A sako extractor takes little to no effort for the extractor to snap over the rim. When I do a sako extractor conversion it's a considerable difference in how the bolt feels and ejects the case compared to factory.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.