7 Rem mag vs 7mm PRC

How many of those cartridges you listed have readily available components and ammo on the shelves? That why the 7PRC is here. When was the last time you saw factory 7RM ammo with 175-180 class bullets? Never. And it runs those 175-180 class bullets in the 2900's.
When was the last time you saw a gun manufacturer put out a 7RM with a 1:8T to run those heavier bullets? Hornady put out the 7PRC as an answer to the performance guys try to get in their 7RM but can't with out barrel swaps etc, and even then, high 2900's with 180 CL bullets is at the top end of the spectrum. The PRC is getting it with factory ammo.

My 7RM with +P chamber needs to run 4 gns over book max with 4831 to get into the mid-2900's with 180's.

I love my 7RM and will Probably stay with it on my next barrel but the 7PRC most definetly out runs it in performance and factory support for what guys are looking for today with the heavier high BC bullets.

It's has a place.
Ammo availability is in my local gun store in NJ for most if not all minus 7x57.

The only thing 7prc does is new rifles are made correctly for heavy for caliber bullets.
7RM will do 3k+ with 175-180 no problem. Why you limit powder to 4831 lol.

Only thing I will concede is IF someone buying a new rifle that doesn't reload but wants heavy bullets the 7prc maybe the way to go.
Belts are a non topic but some just like to make it a big deal when it's really not

Ammo availability is in my local gun store in NJ for most if not all minus 7x57.

The only thing 7prc does is new rifles are made correctly for heavy for caliber bullets.

Only thing I will concede is IF someone buying a new rifle that doesn't reload but wants heavy bullets the 7prc maybe the way to go.
Belts are a non topic but some just like to make it a big deal when it's really not
I used to love the 7RM but I could never get 3K+ with 175 gr bullets. I don't know what it is with that case, but it just doesn't seem to do what it should.

I used to love the 7RM but I could never get 3K+ with 175 gr bullets. I don't know what it is with that case, but it just doesn't seem to do what it should.
My old sendero did it no problem but I unfortunately traded it off like a fool.

HSM 180 GR WAS hitting 2940 something if my memory serves correctly. But yeah 175's at 3k happened

My old sendero did it no problem but I unfortunately traded it off like a fool.

HSM 180 GR WAS hitting 2940 something if my memory serves correctly. But yeah 175's at 3k happened
What powders were you using? I seem to get my best accuracy from H4831 and H1000, but neither one of them are screaming with velocity.

I admittedly don't push the top end and know that I have room to try, but I am not convinced I could hit 3000 fps with what I have on the bench right now.

Belted magnums headspace off the belt, which isn't an issue by itself. Depending on your chamber and reloading dies there is the potential for inadequate resizing just forward of the belt, which can lead to chambering or head spacing issues. There are products available to address this issue but they add complexity and/or cost to the reloading process.

While I agree that the presence of the belt and possible related issues are insignificant to most, I would disagree that "BELTS MEAN LITERALLY NOTHING…"

My personal experience has been that I can get a couple of years from a batch of brass before I start noticing any issues. That is more than sufficient for my personal needs with a hunting rig.

As for the 7 PRC, I believe the biggest difference is that it is designed for heavier bullets with a little more efficiency.
I treat my 7RM and other belted magnums the same as non-belted with a .003 shoulder bump. Brass lasts a long time and chambers well, so I don't agree that belted magnums have to 'headspace' off the belt. However, the 7mmPRC checks a lot of boxes that the old 7RM doesn't, so maybe that will be another 'last' gun I build.

What powders were you using? I seem to get my best accuracy from H4831 and H1000, but neither one of them are screaming with velocity.

I admittedly don't push the top end and know that I have room to try, but I am not convinced I could hit 3000 fps with what I have on the bench right now.
I think it was MRP BUT THIS WAS A COUPLE YEARS AGO. And reloader (not sure) reloader 22 23 26.???

Because H43831SC and H1K is temp stable and accurate.

I think Hornady has done a great job looking at what shooters were doing / wanting to do with classic calibers and then designed a case that checks those boxes and then stocking the shelves with ammo and components.

They did but with the 6CM, 6.5CM, 6.5PRC, 300PRC and the 7PRC.

Crazy how much hate a company that does that gets from old Timers that love their out dated, and or poorly supported cartridges.

I treat my 7RM and other belted magnums the same as non-belted with a .003 shoulder bump. Brass lasts a long time and chambers well, so I don't agree that belted magnums have to 'headspace' off the belt. However, the 7mmPRC checks a lot of boxes that the old 7RM doesn't, so maybe that will be another 'last' gun I build.
Minimizing the shoulder bump is generally a good practice regardless of cartridge to prevent over working the brass. Most people will never have an issue resizing the way you describe, but the 7mm Rem Mag is designed to headspace off the belt per the SAAMI spec.

5E9BBA18-74DC-4320-A24B-852B136F7D68.jpeg

17B5B125-7622-4BB0-A027-AD0C5776E344.jpeg