7 Rem mag vs 7mm PRC

7 REM MAG. BELTS MEAN LITERALLY NOTHING ESPECIALLY FOR A HUNTING RIG. Better performance also with 7RM. I don't get the PRC 7 anyways. We have 708, 280, 280AI, 7x57, what does it do that they don't. Maybe it's the action type. but performance wise it's covered on both sides of the prc. Different I guess.
I love 7 anything so heck why not it just do anything for ME..
All. New cartridges are wheel reinventions.
Get the darn manufacturers to offer different throats and barrel spins, stamp the barrels, problem solved…..
6.5x55
7x57
06'
270 win, etc etc been around and very available

That the whole reason I decided to stick with the RM. Was deciding between the 2 on this build. Ended up going RM cause I saw how unobtainium the 300PRC stuff was for awhile after it came out. Had a few buddies with brand new 300PRC's that couldn't even shoot them due to not being able to find ammo or brass.
I had that same problem Too, finally got brass after paying weatherby prices for hornady ammo that didn't shoot better then 2.5 MOA both eldx & eldm.

I'm a huge 7mm fan but the point of the PRC line (and consequently most of Hornady's cartridges over the last 15 years whether you're talking Creedmoor or the Ruger offerings too) are a turnkey solution for those that aren't going to hand load but want "match grade" type accuracy (where I believe they mean consistent 1 MOA or better in numbers) from factory rifles with factory ammo. That's always been the main point along with modernizing classic art ridges with more optimized features for powder and bullet advancements of today. Whether we like it or not lawyer are going to protect companies and dictate what they can do based on the governing bodies like SAAMI.

So comparing the 7mm PRC to say the aforementioned cartridges.

You're gaining 5-600 fps over the 7mm-08/7x57 Mauser with similar bullets. I own a 7mm-08 and added ammo for the 7mm PRC for a future build.

You're gaining 250-400 fps over the 280/280AI with similar bullets. I own a 280AI and added ammo for the 7mm PRC for a future build.

You're gaining about 1-200 fps over a SAAMI spec 7RM.

You're losing about 50-150 fps from a 28 Nosler but using much less powder and extending barrel life by an estimated 2-3 times over what's expected.

So no it's not needed for hunting for those with existing 7 magnums per se… but for someone that doesn't own one then it may be the obvious choice going forward… even amongst other PRC cartridges for most people that may only want to buy one. As Lao for people taking advantage of prefits and factory ammo because life is busy… it's a reasonable option going forward as well. When I think of most of the Hornady offerings the word that always comes to mind is "balance" in that yes there are faster, there are slower, but I believe that they're striving to maximize efficiency with modern components. Again people have been putting animals down long before firearms existed but that's not reason to impede potential progress where it can be made IMO.
I agree about 1 thing you stated that for someone who doesn't have a 7mm and wants to shoot factory ammo 7prc is the way to go as I stated before. Everything else not so sure.

Wow I didn't know YOU can get your 7prc with 175 gr bullets OVER and into the 3150 to 3250 fps range. Impressive. But not sure I want to be close to you when you pull that trigger

Because H43831SC and H1K is temp stable and accurate.

I think Hornady has done a great job looking at what shooters were doing / wanting to do with classic calibers and then designed a case that checks those boxes and then stocking the shelves with ammo and components.

They did but with the 6CM, 6.5CM, 6.5PRC, 300PRC and the 7PRC.

Crazy how much hate a company that does that gets from old Timers that love their out dated, and or poorly supported cartridges.
I don't think anyone is hating on Hornady for coming out with new cartridges but I think what the biggest problem is factory ammo and components aren't readily available. 7rm has been proven with years of testing, 7 prc hasn't proven itself yet just because of lack of components. Hornady should be flooding the market with brass and factory ammo to gain momentum

26" 7mm Rem mag
Vs
22" 7mm Prc
The same animal but different, thoughts? Should i have tore down the Rem mag and turned it into the 7mm PRC and kept the 300 PRC barrel on? The 7mm Rem mag is a police model that was made for only two years and shoots alright. I havent been able to shoot the 7 Prc yet Which would you take hunting ? 162gr eldx in the Rem mag and 175gr eldx in the 7mm PRC
The Remington model 700 PSS in 7RM was made for at least a decade. I think they are still in rotation for production to this day.

If you reload and have a custom rifle with the correct freebore the 7 prc isn't that impressive minus being non belted. Factory ammo that shoots with heavy for caliber bullets is the benefit imo.
I'm not sure I understand your post. I've reloaded Hornady brass to 3174fps with 180gr bullets. That's a substantial increase over the factory ammo.

The truth is that each of the Hornady PRC cartridges have been grossly popular with tons of industry support. The 7PRC will be no different.

The Remington model 700 PSS in 7RM was made for at least a decade. I think they are still in rotation for production to this day.
The rumor is that they were built for the FBI/Secret Service contract. Again, its an internet rumor. It may have merit since I believe both agencies used or are using the 7mm cartridge. Per Remington, they were only manufactured for 2 years. The model was discontinued in 2006. Very rare, but I've had 2 in the past year. One was brand new and never fired. It was sold in the same condition, sadly. The only difference between the 700p and sendero barrel is a slightly faster twist, 9.25 vs 9.125

I never said that people were running 7mm PRC to 3250. They're advertising 3000fps with 180's I would guess that handloaders will be able to tweak a bit more out in SAAMI chambers… and probably more in custom ones. I wouldn't be surprised if they're running 140's that fast… or faster but that sorta defeats the purpose of the 7mm PRC. It's designed for the heavier bullets and that's what it offers over the 280AI for me personally. I don't own a 7mm Rem Mag. It's capable but seems like it burned a lot more powder for a little more performance than the 280AI. The 7mm PRC burns a little less but pushes heavier bullets a little faster than the 7mm RM.

If it doesn't interest you then that's completely fair but new products move the market regardless of industry. Doesn't mean the old ones are useless… it does mean that new hunters/shooters may have a better starting point objectively speaking.

You're gaining about 1-200 fps over a SAAMI spec 7RM
you stated ^^^ NO WAY.
I am able or was able to get 175/180 3050 atleast. So since you stated 100 to 200 FPS advantage that put your 7PRC in the 3150 to 3250 fps with those 175 / 180 grs.

I totally agree for new 7mm shooters and non reloaders who want to shoot the heavies 7prc offers more WITH A FACTORY RIFLE.... GO custom and its 7RM all day.
I never said that people were running 7mm PRC to 3250. They're advertising 3000fps with 180's I would guess that handloaders will be able to tweak a bit more out in SAAMI chambers… and probably more in custom ones. I wouldn't be surprised if they're running 140's that fast… or faster but that sorta defeats the purpose of the 7mm PRC. It's designed for the heavier bullets and that's what it offers over the 280AI for me personally. I don't own a 7mm Rem Mag. It's capable but seems like it burned a lot more powder for a little more performance than the 280AI. The 7mm PRC burns a little less but pushes heavier bullets a little faster than the 7mm RM.

If it doesn't interest you then that's completely fair but new products move the market regardless of industry. Doesn't mean the old ones are useless… it does mean that new hunters/shooters may have a better starting point objectively speaking.

you stated ^^^ NO WAY.
I am able or was able to get 175/180 3050 atleast. So since you stated 100 to 200 FPS advantage that put your 7PRC in the 3150 to 3250 fps with those 175 / 180 grs.

I totally agree for new 7mm shooters and non reloaders who want to shoot the heavies 7prc offers more WITH A FACTORY RIFLE.... GO custom and its 7RM all day.
You're clearly loading over book values. I guess if that's the case then sure.

7 REM MAG. BELTS MEAN LITERALLY NOTHING ESPECIALLY FOR A HUNTING RIG. Better performance also with 7RM. I don't get the PRC 7 anyways. We have 708, 280, 280AI, 7x57, what does it do that they don't. Maybe it's the action type. but performance wise it's covered on both sides of the prc. Different I guess.
I love 7 anything so heck why not it just do anything for ME..