7 PRC SAAMI approved

I admire Hornady for their business model. You can take shots at them for being money grabbers, but isn't that what business is all about. I admire wildcat enthusiasts as well. Their innovative approach to developing a possibly better cartridge does provide R&D for the rest of shooting community. SAAMI approval is good thing for the community. Options are always a good thing unless pondering on what direction to go causes you discomfort. I do agree with the lack of faster twist barrels in factory options. Browning has seen the gap and is finally making faster twist barrels. Hopefully others will follow.

I admire Hornady for their business model. You can take shots at them for being money grabbers, but isn't that what business is all about. I admire wildcat enthusiasts as well. Their innovative approach to developing a possibly better cartridge does provide R&D for the rest of shooting community. SAAMI approval is good thing for the community. Options are always a good thing unless pondering on what direction to go causes you discomfort. I do agree with the lack of faster twist barrels in factory options. Browning has seen the gap and is finally making faster twist barrels. Hopefully others will follow.
My beef is they hype the CM/PRC as something new and earth shattering and it's not. The main benefit they have is good factory ammo support. From a performance standpoint they bring nothing to the table that other cartridges haven't been doing for years.

And people lap it up. I get it, we all like new stuff but they aren't as great as some would like you to believe.

My beef is they hype the CM/PRC as something new and earth shattering and it's not. The main benefit they have is good factory ammo support. From a performance standpoint they bring nothing to the table that other cartridges haven't been doing for years.

And people lap it up. I get it, we all like new stuff but they aren't as great as some would like you to believe.
I do agree actually. If you really dig into all these newer rounds they aren't new at all. Improvements sure, but not earth shattering like the original designs were.

The same can be said for all the wildcats that get pouted as amazing new achievements when they are nothing new or earth shattering...except for their ridiculous performance claims at times.

The same can be said for all the wildcats that get pouted as amazing new achievements when they are nothing new or earth shattering...except for their ridiculous performance claims at times.
I don't disagree. Mostly like
Was stated previously even wildcats are really improvements (whether perceived or real) to existing cartridges.

As enthusiasts we are always tinkering.

Like I've said, the several I've done have been very accurate, very easy too load for and shoot extremely well with several different powders and bullet combos, my favorite and the only powder I consider the gold standard H1000 it drills in this cartridge..

I feel the middle of the road cartridge between the 7 mag and 28 nolser will be awesome for everyone. The 7LRM is wicked little cartridge,, it didn't roast along like they advertised BUT was it ever accurate!! 180 VLD around 3k respectively

Once again you are assuming that they will use the 300 PRC case and not the 6.5 case. How about we see what Steve thinks is more profitable. Do be fooled. This is a money grab for the PRC name! I look at your list of iconic 7mm cartridges that you are running down, and can only think that maybe you should show the world what a proper 7mm cartridge should look like. Best of luck with your invention.
Well I'm building a 7mm lrm using adg/Gunwerks brass, holds 87gr water. I will be good with this. Here's the problem with a short action 7prc. Still limited to 2.95 saami coal like the 65prc. A 65prc with a 156 berger or heavy eldm bullets at 2.95 is pushed way down in the case robbing usable powder capacity. Throat it long and run heavy high bc bullets and it won't fit short actions mag box. 7saum has 74gr powder cap, the 7prc will be right about 70gr, same 2.020 case length, but saum has longer neck. They're not doing anything the saum doesn't do alreasy but maybe? feed better with its non rebated head. I just dont see a point, but this is my opinion. I know guys are running 7 prc short action wikdcat in f class with H4350 with very similar results as 7 saum, they both shoot very well I'm told. However these guys single feed uaing long throats and ling heavy bullets, non mag feedable. Regardless their choice, finding components and dies will be tough as it is for the 65prc currently.

Well I'm building a 7mm lrm using adg/Gunwerks brass, holds 87gr water. I will be good with this. Here's the problem with a short action 7prc. Still limited to 2.95 saami coal like the 65prc. A 65prc with a 156 berger or heavy eldm bullets at 2.95 is pushed way down in the case robbing usable powder capacity. Throat it long and run heavy high bc bullets and it won't fit short actions mag box. 7saum has 74gr powder cap, the 7prc will be right about 70gr, same 2.020 case length, but saum has longer neck. They're not doing anything the saum doesn't do alreasy but maybe? feed better with its non rebated head. I just dont see a point, but this is my opinion. I know guys are running 7 prc short action wikdcat in f class with H4350 with very similar results as 7 saum, they both shoot very well I'm told. However these guys single feed uaing long throats and ling heavy bullets, non mag feedable. Regardless their choice, finding components and dies will be tough as it is for the 65prc currently.
Most of the posts have said it's a 300PRC necked down (the actual 7 PRC not the necked up wildcat 6.5PRC). You see to be describing the latter, which I would agree, isn't something I was interested in. Medium action cartridges will be neat once you can buy any stock or magazine you want in either of the two form factors.

Ya everything is saying it is the 300 prc necked down. So it'll be closer to the 7 LRM which makes sense since that already worked with gunwerks.

Ya everything is saying it is the 300 prc necked down. So it'll be closer to the 7 LRM which makes sense since that already worked with gunwerks.
A well supported SAAMI approved cartridge in that rough capacity is going to be a great compromise. Plenty of zip without being a recoil monster or the worst kind of barrel burner.

Now to wonder if I should hold off on chambering my barrel or do it in 280AI and get an 8 twist on order. The current barrel is an 8.5 and a bit slow for the 195/etc.

Last edited:

Recent Posts