7-300wby

Yep I agree. I bought it for moose and elk, and I must say its a fine performer on the big guys but its too much for whitetail. The main game here, so I will unscrew the barrel and put it up for my next miracle a nd bull elk tag. Moose already punched . For all I know the 7/300 wby maybe poison for elk also. I have always been a 30 cal fan that's why the ultra

And I have never had a fast 7 so I figured no time like the present not much to do in the winter but ice fish shoot coyotes and steel

Does somebody have a set of dies for the 7-300wby that would be willing to size 8 pieces for me so I can shoot it when I get the barrel ,my Smith can make me dies after he has some fired cases.

I have a 112 fsak savage in 300 rum that will be the donor, unless I sell it and start with something else , the ultras aren't real easy to sell so I prob use that

Have you tried selling it on here? I would think an affordable long range boomer should sell quickly here.

I was thinking of selling it but I wont get a rifle with a long enough mag box unless i get a remington and I have had to much bad luck with them to go again. I like the savages but i can find a center feed action with long enough box

I would think that a 9 twist barrel would spin 162-180 grainers ,or maybe 8.5. What is everyone running

Now that the 190-195 bullets are readily available in 7mm, I believe there is absolutely no reason to use a twist slower than 8"; unless your only pill will be light for caliber.
I put my new stw together with a 8" twist shilen select match barrel, and she shoots 140 grain ab's as well as she shoots the 195 berger pills. I wouldn't put a 110 grain varmint pill in her (it would likely tear apart), but that's not what this rifle is for.

If you build the rifle to the 9-10# range, you will not notice the difference between the 7stw/ 7x300roy and a 7rem mag. Built lighter, she may be a bit more jumpy than a lesser 7mm.

The rum can be a pussycat too in a slightly heavier rifle; I just picked up a rem 700 long range 300rum(wrong handed for me) and the first couple of groups showed good accuracy even with zero load developement, with recoil in the noticable but no where near punishing range. The rem lr was purchased so I can tear down my left hand bdl in 300 rum when the barrel finishes failing in the near future. I am planning a 338 rum/edge type build for her. A 10# rifle tossing 300 grain slugs above 2800 fps is the plan.

I was going to put a longer and heavier contour barrel on it but there isn't a gunsmith in the world that will spin me up a rum barrel on a small Shank even tho that's how it came from savage.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.