300 rum vs 300wby mag

hapycapy

I was looking for prices for a 300rum today and the gun dealer told me that remington has stopped production of their large caliber rifles due to the economy, so he cant even order one. He said he could get me a 300 wby mag witch a weatherby was my next choice, but can someone tell me the difference in the 2 rounds. Im looking for a medium to long range elk, bear, big game rig.
p.s. Im going through this guy because he is a friend of a friend and usually saves me about 300$ every time I get a gun.
Thanks,
Capy

Well I have a 300 weatherby and also a 30-378 weatherby. Both clearly will kill anything although for big critters like a bear I might go for a 340 weatherby (300 with neck resized). BUt, you can go with heavy bullets for the bigger animals and a 180 or smaller for smaller animals. I love them both (actually I have 3 - 300s). Problem with the 30-378 is the god awful cost of the ammo. You can get 300 mag ammo for about 40 dollars for 20 without any hassle. Able ammo is one such site. 340 is about the same but uses bigger slugs (up to 300). You can get a mark V sporter for about 1100 from impactguns and a few other shops. If I were limited to a single rifle it would be a 300 weatherby. Load light and it will make a varmint disappear. Load heavy and you can kill nearly anything in North America (don't think I would challenge a Kodiak bear with one and a moose might be a tad big but a 300 can kill either one.

bob chronister

If you place a call to Remington I belive that you will find that your dealer is wrong. I am certain that Remington is still building large caliber rifles.

I've owned both and much prefer the RUM. No belt and no silly radiused shoulder along with a tad more case capacity for the RUM

but can someone tell me the difference in the 2 rounds.
Capy

The Weatherby holds 97 gr. of water and the RUM 110 gr. of water.
Brass is much more inexpensive for the RUM.
The Weatherby brass is belted; RUM has no belt. Some folks beleive that a none belted would be more accurate. I do know the 300 RUM is very accurate.
The RUM is way cheaper to shoot weather you're reloading or using factory ammo. Most people would go with the RUM.
Using 200 gr. bullets like Nosler Accubond when reloading the RUM can really shine... 3200 f/sec easy. Factory ammo is easier to find for the RUM.

I was looking for prices for a 300rum today and the gun dealer told me that remington has stopped production of their large caliber rifles due to the economy, so he cant even order one.

Maybe that's true, but it sounds more like a crock to me. Gun sales are going through the roof ever since the election. If you really want a 300 RUM, I'm pretty sure you can get one. Maybe after this guy sells his 300 Wthby he'll be able to order you one.

Maybe that's true, but it sounds more like a crock to me. Gun sales are going through the roof ever since the election. If you really want a 300 RUM, I'm pretty sure you can get one. Maybe after this guy sells his 300 Wthby he'll be able to order you one.

You can always find one in the classifieds on one of the shooting web sites

I've owned both and much prefer the RUM. No belt and no silly radiused shoulder along with a tad more case capacity for the RUM

Well I have also had remingtons (still have 2) and much prefer the weatherbys. If you think the idea of a belt and the double radius shoulder, you probably also think the freebore of the weatherby is also ridiculous. Yet, it is these reasons that impart a lot of the power and speed of the weatherbys. As to velocity issues, the ultramagnum is about 50 fps faster than the weatherby. But as we both know, the more powder you use that greater is the threat of throat erosion. My weatherbys are made better than my remingtons and these are recent weapons. If we go back some years to either the Sauer or Howa made Weatherbys, then I will argue that there is absolutely no comparison with weatherby winning hands down. Now if we also add the 30-378 to the fodder, it is with heavier bullets 200-300 fps faster than either the RUM or the 300 Wby and properly made is an incredibly accurate rifle at 1000 yards as shown by a distant relative of mine (Earl Chronister).

bob chronister

First lets kill one myth right now...brass prices. 300 wby brass is CHEAPER than RUM brass. Sinclair sells Rem brass in both. Cost: 300 wby...74.55/100. 300 RUM.....92.45/100. Now if you plan on beating the crap out of your brass, then use the remmy brass in either and throw them away after a couple of firings. I've been there and done that. Max velocity is ALWAYS fun. If you want to keep things at realistic velocitys, buy GOOD brass. 300 WBY Norma 134.85/100. WAY better brass than remmy brass. 300 RUM, You may be stuck for a while....I know Nostler is making them, but, availabillity is poor as of now. I have no experiance with that brand of brass. I have herd that is not as good as the norma/lapua brass. As far as cost. It looks like the other calibers that Nostler is making is comparible in price to Norma.

Accuracy.....Belt.....Sholder design. ALL HOGWASH. Check the 1K results. Hardly anyone out there using a 300 RUM. There are quite a few 300 wby's, and a bunch more 300 improved (AI, BAER, Spencer,.ect...). And they win!!! My point is that the belt has nothing to do with anything once your brass has been fired, assuming you know what you are doing at the reloading bench. Even at that, I have won matches using new brass. And, that being said, and the inexperienced loader over sizes his RUM brass and pushes the sholder back to far, you have headspace problems. Push the sholder back too far on a belted case and....yep...you still have the belt to headspace off of, keeping things safe. I will admit that one of the reasons the 300 RUM isn't prominant in 1 K benchrest is the lack of QUALITY brass. I think it can be just as accurate as the wby/AI/ sized cases. BUT....Compeditors are now leaning to the 300 WSM. They are finding that they just don't need that much case capacity for thier use....but we are talking LR HUNTING here, so lots of boiler room is good. But as for the 300 RUM....mayby to much of a good thing.

Now, based on capacity alone...all else being equal, the 300 RUM will be a touch faster. As far as free bore, I know that WBY factory rifles have some, but I admit I don't know about the other gun manufacturers out there. I shoot all custom stuff in 300 WBY, and don't use ANY free bore. A little less speed....a whole lot more accurate. But, watch for high PSI...it will come SOONER w/o freebore.

Good luck, and know this.....If your biggest wory in life is haveing to choose between these two choices, then life IS GOOD!!! No bad choice.

I push 180 grain bullets 3325 FPS out of my 300 RUM and that is more than 50 FPS faster than the 300 Weatherby and I run 200 grainers 3250 FPS that is also more than 50 FPS faster than a Weatherby. The belt takes up room that could be better served make the case body hold more powder and the belt serve no usefull purpose.
Are you saying that the 30-378 Wea. can puch 180 grainers to 3600 FPS safely or 200 grainers 3550 FPS safelyFrom a 26" barrel like I have on my RUM

My point is that the belt has nothing to do with anything .

Exactly so why have it? I know several that shoot the 300 TomaHawk 300 SlowPoke Yep based on the 300 RUM case, the slowpoke shooter won the Missouri state Championship so what's your point

jwp475. If you want to shoot upwards of 20 % more powder for a velocity gain of 1.5%, than do it. I have no problem with that at all. Lots of guys do it. I don't think the deer/elk/moose is going to notice the 1.5% velocity difference. But BBls are expensive. Powder is expensive. Gunsmiths are expensive. Extra muzzle blast isn't all that good for the average shooter. I am sure guys have necked down the 50 BMG to 30 cal. I'm sure it was a BLAST to shoot (pun intended)!! I already admitted that the RUM would be faster, all other things being equal. But you pay a lot for that extra 50 FPS.

I never said jack about anything other than the 300 WBY and the 300 RUM. Where the 30-378 comes from is beond me.

I NEVER said the 300 RUM can't win. It can. But for every RUM win you point out, I can point out 20 for the lowly belted 300 based case. My point is that the belt dose not HURT accuracy. And, for the less seasond hand loader, the belt takes care of the headspace for him.

The facts I was pointing out is that the RUM brass is NOT cheaper. The RUM is NOT more accurate. Also, I see some one stated that factory RUM ammo is easier to find. I would think that this is backward, but I have not looked. There are are a lot of ammo makers pumping out quality ammo for the 300 WBY.

Oh ya, by the way....I checked a map......couldn't find a Missouri on it any where. I found a Missouri River, but I couldn't find any other Missouri on it anywhere. Where was that again...........................???

JUST KIDDING:D:D

Seriously....I won't get into a ****ing match over this......RUM/WBY. FORD/CHEVY. DEM/REP. TALL/SHORT WHAT EVER....

I say buy both. Along with a few semi auto pistols, a few "assult rifles".....just becuse you can!!

AT LEAST FOR NOW!!!:mad:

GOOD LUCK!!

Last edited:
OOPS.......Sorry jwp475.......I just re read all of the posts again. I thought your 30-378 comments was a responce to my post.......MY BAD.

I guess I need to take some reading comprehention classes!!!

Sorry about that!!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.