7/08 Rifle recommendations?

Most likely the same people who try to feed you the crap about the .308 Win not having enough killing power after 650 yards... :rolleyes:

My buddy killed a bull last year with a 168 berger at that distance. Went right into the spine and out the other side, lodging in the skin.

I am not an expert by any means on long range hunting or shooting. Long range to me so far is 650ish yards. It seems like there are a tremendous variety of calibers that can shoot that far accurately and ethically.

Good recommendation jf, but why a hogue stock? Price? Why not a B&C or HS?
Those are viable as well. Overmolded or Composite. Injection molded IMO should be replaced.

Biggest reason, I live in Paso and I want a Hogue.

I'll hunt with it primarily. Not very often, just enough to keep the freezer full..venison.
I doubt beyond 400meters but
as far as I feel confident in making an ethical kill.
Will be spending a bit of time at a range too initially until I'm familiar with it. Using the same load.

The projectile I like is a 180grain boat with a BC of .674/.345. This should still be going around
2033fps with 1652ft-lbs @ 500meters.
The manufacturer calls for a twist of 9 but the calculations I've done looks like lower would stabilize better but most barrel offerings I've seen so far are 1:9.5

This Tikka http://www.tikka.fi/pdf/specs/SuperVarmint.pdf comes close to what I'd like. Atlest the price is right. I like some of the features of the Sakos like the controlled feed and better lugs but they don't have heavy barrels. Savages don't seem to come in 7/08 heavy either and I'm suspicious about those prices too IDK.
I've been given the ok to go upto $2500 now too :cool: if needed. I'm good for optics so 2.5K should get me a good quality rifle I think.

I can do bedding etc but want quality features too

300wisperer why did you recommend a 26"-28" ? Just curious, it's a factor that I don't really understand... long enough to burn all the propellant..

Id get a Savage target action, Criterion 26" semi varmint, hs precision 3 screw stock and have a smith throat it for the 168-180 grain bullets. That will run you about 1200, spend the rest on a Sightron 6-24x50 lrmoa and get after it. Or find the bastard that stole my 7-08 and buy it, because I had one set up just like what you are wanting to do. All the nay sayers don't have a clue. Throating is the key.

tikka. lh. 7-08
yours for US$ 650 in most shops, less in some.
AU is probably a little more $ but should be a tack driver out of the box.
You can customize as you please or want or need.
Lots of fun stuff to do to it before you reach your $1800 mark.

Read Jerry Teo's article "Long Range Rifle on a Budget". If you want to do it yourself, and can get Savage actions/donor rifles in Oz it makes a very satisfying project. I am working on one myself in 280 Ackley, and plan to use Berger 168VLDs for load development. I run the 180 in a 7Rem Mag at 2905fps in a 9 twist, and am using the same twist for the new rifle, expecting mid to high 2800s with the 168. For your chosen 7mm/08 case, I think I would stay with the 168 rather than the 180 unless you get a faster twist barrel. Savages can be had in left hand configuration and all the major parts are easy to work with in a basic home workshop. The stock in the photos is a Boyd's Tacticool, which I have bedded using pillars between action and bottom-metal. Right now I am still shooting the original factory 30-06 barrel, awaiting the arrival of the custom tube.

Attachments

• DIY Bedding 001.JPG
    DIY Bedding 001.JPG
    138.3 KB · Views: 46
  • DIY Savage paint and assembly 7.19.14 015.JPG
    DIY Savage paint and assembly 7.19.14 015.JPG
    261.7 KB · Views: 59
Apparently the Super Varmint isn't available in L/H

I'm now considering getting a SS Varmint, L/H with stock barrel (1:9.5 x 24") & spose I'll have to shoot a lighter projectile.

I'm pretty sure the 1:8 x 22" would be ideal for the 180grainers however not sure if I'll be able to reach the required fps'

Maybe down the track I'll look for a good source of custom barrels in Australia.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.