6XC or 243 Win?

An AR platform .243 is about the only .243 that I've never owned...

And I've been suuuper tempted to build one, just for the coolness factor! Man, I wish I had not just read that post...

Tempting
Do It GIF

I recently got a 6mm Creedmoor & being economy driven make 6mm CM's from 1X fired 6.5CM. Works just fine but neck down, turn necks, & anneal performed. My .243 now is loaded with 87's with junction of boat tail & shank of bullet just above neck/shoulder of brass. 6mm CM's & .243W & 6mmXC all good cartridges. I am considering a .243 AI for the next re-barrel for my single shot push feed .22-.250 where magazine length is of no consequence - 87V Max & RL16 - speedy.

An AR platform .243 is about the only .243 that I've never owned...

And I've been suuuper tempted to build one, just for the coolness factor! Man, I wish I had not just read that post...

Tempting
Some day the next will be 22/250, 6rem, but no creeds.

Now I'm going back to considering a 223 AI. Or something that shoots small primer primer. 22 cal bullets are still around 26 bucks per one hundred. And the powder charges are around 25 grains. I didn't get to do a lot of shooting last year. I might concentrate of rats to yotes next year.

In the BITTER Cold, Idaho Winters,.. I prefer the Positive, IGNITION of, Large Primers in, the .22-250 Rem and I just, Down Load, w/ less Powder to .223 Velocity, using, 50 / 53 grain, Bullets for Sage Rats, in the Spring !
I have a Brake on my Rem 700 and CAN SEE the Hits and Flying Body Parts with, THIS Load !
Tikka, now makes, a NICE, T-3 Lite, 1-8 Twist, .22-250 that you could shoot, the awesome, 60 gr. NBT's, 65 gr. Sierra SPBT GK's and or, 68/ 69 grain, BTHP Bullets thru,.. for Yotes !

Last edited:
Now I'm going back to considering a 223 AI. Or something that shoots small primer primer. 22 cal bullets are still around 26 bucks per one hundred. And the powder charges are around 25 grains. I didn't get to do a lot of shooting last year. I might concentrate of rats to yotes next year.
Wifey & I shoot about 400 rounds per month. She shoots about 250 rounds of that with her 9 twist .223 - low price bullets 53-69 grains, 25-26 gr. powder charge, CCI 41 primers, abundant cheap brass, & long barrel life. The only issue is much brass trimming. The replacement barrel will be a .223 AI which should help with trimming needs. Same size barrel - 24" #4., 9 twist. 53 VMax's for rodents & targets & 69 Si MK or 69 Barnes Match Burners for targets. Good variety of powders like VN140, CFE223, AA2230, AL Varmint, AA2520, H335 and more.

In the BITTER Cold, Idaho Winters,.. I prefer the Positive, IGNITION of, Large Primers in, the .22-250 Rem and I just, Down Load, w/ less Powder to .223 Velocity, using, 50 / 53 grain, Bullets for Sage Rats, in the Spring !
I have a Brake on my Rem 700 and CAN SEE the Hits and Flying Body Parts with, THIS Load !
Tikka, now makes, a NICE, T-3 Lite, 1-8 Twist, .22-250 that you could shoot, the awesome, 60 gr. NBT's, 65 gr. Sierra SPBT GK's and or, 68/ 69 grain, BTHP Bullets thru,.. for Yotes !
That is true but I haven't had any issues with ignition in the winter with my AR's hunting yotes or bunnies. I'll have to look into downloading 22-250 though. I didn't think of that.

My 22-250 is being chambered to 260 AI as I post. But I still have plenty of 22-250 and 243 Win brass left. Has me debating 22-250, 6XC or 243 win barrel to screw on for next years varmint season. For this thread let's just concentrate on the 6XC and 243 Win. Who has one and how do they like it? Is it easier to tune than the 243 Win? Has anyone found it to have a longer barrel life than the 243 Win? How about the dreaded donut in the 243 win?
IMO, The 6XC is what the 243 should have been. Longer neck to reduce erosion and keep bullet out off the donut. Good case capacity. Should get much better barrel life than 243 or the creedmoors. I like mine. I looked into a 22 XC and my new barrel in on the lathe today. Started out looking at 22-250AI but XC brass is easy to get from peterson and simply run it into a .249 bushing in an XC die

IMO, The 6XC is what the 243 should have been. Longer neck to reduce erosion and keep bullet out off the donut. Good case capacity. Should get much better barrel life than 243 or the creedmoors. I like mine. I looked into a 22 XC and my new barrel in on the lathe today. Started out looking at 22-250AI but XC brass is easy to get from peterson and simply run it into a .249 bushing in an XC die
Thanks but I've long moved on on cartridges and the criteria for them. My 260 AI fills the need for any 6mm and I think the 20 Practical will augment my 22 cal needs. I already have a 5.56 AR and a 20 Practical AR will probably be in the stable for coyote hunting.