6XC or 243 Win?

I cannot weigh in on the other seemingly endless selection of 6's, as they seem to be "all the rage" these days. I have yet to venture deep down the rabbit hole of these modern offerings, so I will certainly not say anything negative about them.

Having said that, I will throw out a huge nod toward the "good old .243 Win" - as I still believe it to be exceptionally capable and versatile. I happen to load for 6 of them, from lightweight varmint bullets, into mid-weight deer hunting bullets, and all the way up to the modern Heavy-for -caliber high BC bullets in the 105 - 110 gr range.

Again, I will never knock the newer chamberings. I know of many folks that shoot them very well and have great luck with them.

I simply feel that if you already have components and - especially, with today's ability to re-barrel a rifle to get exactly the twist and throat that you desire, that makes my decision soooo much easier to stick with a cartridge I already know and love. Especially since I already have a bathtub full of all required components to custom tune a .243 to do whatever I need it to.

I'm stupid simple, that way. It's just tough for me to get into a new caliber when there have been so many crazy advancements in the calibers that I already own and load for.

I think you'll be great no matter what decision you make, but my vote is for the .243 Win.

Here is info on the 6xc from my Sierra app

Screenshot_20211103-105014.png
Screenshot_20211103-105026.png

I'm stupid simple, that way. It's just tough for me to get into a new caliber when there have been so many crazy advancements in the calibers that I already own and load for.
Yeah well we share that quality lol. I have 22-250 and 243 brass but no more 22-250 or 243 win. So that's why I started thinking about this.

I have run 6XC in competition for the past 3 years. I have one barrel that has 2400 rounds on it and still shoots excellent. It has only dropped about 35fps. I am one that never changes my load at all after development (I don't "chase" the lands). The one thing I would mention is that if you are going to build a bolt gun, make sure that the reamer is 6XC II. The 6XC reamer is for gas guns.

I have run 6XC in competition for the past 3 years. I have one barrel that has 2400 rounds on it and still shoots excellent. It has only dropped about 35fps. I am one that never changes my load at all after development (I don't "chase" the lands). The one thing I would mention is that if you are going to build a bolt gun, make sure that the reamer is 6XC II. The 6XC reamer is for gas guns.
Thanks for the tip. I didn't know about the reamer differences.

Here are some of my thoughts. I think within each respective group, it's splitting hairs performance wise.

Compacts:
6BR: simple (almost idiot proof), slower
6BRA: Fire formed, a bit faster, comp with Dasher
6 Dasher: Fire formed, a bit slower than .243 with 10 grains less powder

Standard size:
6XC: Shorter .243, sim 6GT
6 Creed: .243 performance with longer bullets in AICS mag boxes, some factory ammo
.243: Factory ammo
.243 AI: Faster .243
6mm Rem: Long .243, faster
6 SST: Magnum!

I've burnt out a .243 and currently shoot a Dasher. I'm considering changing the .243 to the AI version. That way I could reuse the .243 brass and get some more speed. Although, dies are pricing and AI ones are not as plentily as the Win Improved.

I listened to a Vortex podcast where a PRS shooter was shooting a 6 Creed and found that the 105 bullets liked 2950 fps. My 6 Dasher with a 24" barrel hits the same node with less powder without topping out.

My builds tend to be criteria driven. If one is trying to hit steel and paper, I've heard the 6 BR is hard to beat for simplicity and superb performance. For hunting, I want more speed. My 6 Dasher whacks deer just as well as my .243 and is much more comfortable to shoot. If you are thinking mono bullets, on paper, the 88 grain Hammer Hunter is showing serious potential in .243 win and larger cases.

I ordered a replacement barrel for my .243 and it will be sitting on the shelf for quite awhile until I decide which route to go. Look at the effort required to build each and see what peaks your interest more.

Here's another monkey wrench 😂 .......6SLR....take your existing 243 brass run it through a SLR die, bam 30* shoulder and a longer neck. You can run 105's from 3000-3150 depending powder/barrel length/reamer specs.........or just hit the easy button and go 6XC.

Here are some of my thoughts. I think within each respective group, it's splitting hairs performance wise.

Compacts:
6BR: simple (almost idiot proof), slower
6BRA: Fire formed, a bit faster, comp with Dasher
6 Dasher: Fire formed, a bit slower than .243 with 10 grains less powder

Standard size:
6XC: Shorter .243, sim 6GT
6 Creed: .243 performance with longer bullets in AICS mag boxes, some factory ammo
.243: Factory ammo
.243 AI: Faster .243
6mm Rem: Long .243, faster
6 SST: Magnum!

I've burnt out a .243 and currently shoot a Dasher. I'm considering changing the .243 to the AI version. That way I could reuse the .243 brass and get some more speed. Although, dies are pricing and AI ones are not as plentily as the Win Improved.

I listened to a Vortex podcast where a PRS shooter was shooting a 6 Creed and found that the 105 bullets liked 2950 fps. My 6 Dasher with a 24" barrel hits the same node with less powder without topping out.

My builds tend to be criteria driven. If one is trying to hit steel and paper, I've heard the 6 BR is hard to beat for simplicity and superb performance. For hunting, I want more speed. My 6 Dasher whacks deer just as well as my .243 and is much more comfortable to shoot. If you are thinking mono bullets, on paper, the 88 grain Hammer Hunter is showing serious potential in .243 win and larger cases.

I ordered a replacement barrel for my .243 and it will be sitting on the shelf for quite awhile until I decide which route to go. Look at the effort required to build each and see what peaks your interest more.
I have leftover 22-250 brass and 243 win brass. I deabting using the 22-250 brass for the 6XC. I could use the 243 brass for my 260 AI. It's all up in the air right now. But thanks for your insights. I've been scouring the net when I should just shoot lol.

You could fireform 22-250 into a 22creed…not sure on specs, but I know the xc and creed r close, what about a 22xc and fireform ur 22-250 into it? Just a thought