6XC or 243 Win?

xsn10s

My 22-250 is being chambered to 260 AI as I post. But I still have plenty of 22-250 and 243 Win brass left. Has me debating 22-250, 6XC or 243 win barrel to screw on for next years varmint season. For this thread let's just concentrate on the 6XC and 243 Win. Who has one and how do they like it? Is it easier to tune than the 243 Win? Has anyone found it to have a longer barrel life than the 243 Win? How about the dreaded donut in the 243 win?

I shot a .243 for years and I never had an issue with it. I love that cartridge. I personally do not have experience with a 6XC but a buddy of mine just had one built and it's a tack driver. I feel like either one is a good choice and I would pick the one you like the best or have the most brass for.

My understanding is one of the reasons David Tubb created the 6XC is to get away from the dreaded donut some found after sizing 243 win a few times. But honestly I haven't seen it either. Granted I mostly loaded varmint bullets which probably didn't get close to a donut.

I also remember hearing Tubb say the 6XC fits better in standard short action magazines when loaded with heavy bullets like his 115gr DTAC compared to the .243 Win. There's a multitude of great 6mm cartridges out there and it can be difficult to narrow it down to one.

SO I educated myself on the various 6mm offerings yesterday. There is a GA Precision interview on youtube explaining why they made the 6GT. Then I found the 6XC and wondered why the 6GT if there is the 6XC.

Whoops, sorry OP! I went off course from your criteria. 243 WIN for the win. You have the components and you are hunting, not shooting PRS.
You're fine buddy. That post relates so no problem. George Gardner shot the 243 Win in matches before. I'll have to watch the video this afternoon. Thanks!

I think you will be fine with either choice you will just have to decide if you want flexibility of a time tested cartridge with factory ammo availability or the coolness of (what I call) a "boutique" cartridge. I like both for the record and glad I'm not making this decision 😉
I feel like Robin Williams picking coffee in "Moscow on the Hudson" lol.

The 6XC has less capacity which I like. Plus I already have a 243 Win so a 6mm creed doesn't fit. But it is a great cartridge.

I think the reason for the 6XC is that since the case is shorter you can seat out 100 plus bullets longer. It'll still fit the SA magbox with say 115gr bullets while staying away from any possible donuts. Eats alittle less powder and still gets good velocity.

I have a 6 BR,6XC,6 Creed and 6-250 AI but I sold my 243 long ago. I have only put 40 rds through my 6 xc so far and is seems almost as easy as the 6 BR. If I was to choose between the 243 and 6 xc based on what I know and based on what I have discussed with people that are shooting them in our steel shoots I would choose the xc. There is a lot that depends on you application and the intended purpose of the rifle. It seems as though the happy place for most of my 6mm rifles with 107's is in the 2950-3000 FPS range and you really only need the case capacity of the 6 xc for that.

I have a 6 BR,6XC,6 Creed and 6-250 AI but I sold my 243 long ago. I have only put 40 rds through my 6 xc so far and is seems almost as easy as the 6 BR. If I was to choose between the 243 and 6 xc based on what I know and based on what I have discussed with people that are shooting them in our steel shoots I would choose the xc. There is a lot that depends on you application and the intended purpose of the rifle. It seems as though the happy place for most of my 6mm rifles with 107's is in the 2950-3000 FPS range and you really only need the case capacity of the 6 xc for that.
It's purpose would be a varmint rifle, maybe deer and longer range target rifle. I'll probably use 87 vmax and up to 115 gr for long range fun. It's pretty close to the 243 charges but most loads seem like in the 39 gr range. So it looks like it eats a little less powder than the 243 win. I also read it's easier to tune although the 243 win I had was very easy to tune. Saving on powder is pretty important to me these days.

Last edited: