6x55 A.I. questions

muleystalker-
I think the dasher is a great round for its purposes and appreciate the info. I have decided on the 6mm A.I. I have such a deep nostalgic bond with the 6mm from my youth I can't let it go, and wanting to advance into the wildcat arena with both feet; this seems the right thing to do. Satisfying both areas of my interest at the same time. But thank you for the reference.

muleystalker-
I think the dasher is a great round for its purposes and appreciate the info. I have decided on the 6mm A.I. I have such a deep nostalgic bond with the 6mm from my youth I can't let it go, and wanting to advance into the wildcat arena with both feet; this seems the right thing to do. Satisfying both areas of my interest at the same time. But thank you for the reference.

O.K., now I want a 6mm SST. JEESH, I need a second job. I went to Rich's site and saw he has one of these. Fast lil bugger, but bigger bolt face:mad:

So if I'm getting your post right your really looking hard at a LA cartridge you mention 6.5x55 AI or 6mm AI

If your looking at wild cat thats got good performance good barrel life in a long action go with 6.5 Sherman easy to form brass,very good barrel life,and launches a 6.5 140 at 3250+.
Could run 130 at 33-3400
If your looking for a good overall 6.5 that will equal the 6.5x55AI and the 6mm AI without needing to wildcat why not a 6.5 284 it runs on LA as well, and has good brass,easy to load for,and good performance BUT barrel life is a little shorter but if you don't hot rod it would get decent life.
Before I built my 6.5 284 I looked at the 6.5x55AI and decided no gain with it and the pain of fire forming so went with the 65 284 instead. Then I wanted horse power so went with 6.5 Sherman and never looked back.
O.K., now I want a 6mm SST. JEESH, I need a second job. I went to Rich's site and saw he has one of these. Fast lil bugger, but bigger bolt face:mad:
I got a brand new carbide reamer in this week!
The 6 sst has fired the 110 Sierra's at nearly 3500'. I ran the numbers at 1000 yards at 3400' and you only need 16 moa and have 1100 ft/lbs.
It will no doubt be harder on barrels at that velocity but.......
I ran reduced loads with H4895 in my 6.5 sst sith 130's with amazing results. I had single digit es and shot a couple .0's with them!

I got a brand new carbide reamer in this week!
The 6 sst has fired the 110 Sierra's at nearly 3500'. I ran the numbers at 1000 yards at 3400' and you only need 16 moa and have 1100 ft/lbs.
It will no doubt be harder on barrels at that velocity but.......
I ran reduced loads with H4895 in my 6.5 sst sith 130's with amazing results. I had single digit es and shot a couple .0's with them!
Just so you know, i am trying to find a smith to open up that Ruger Bolt face.
If not i will have to put ip with that slow poke 6mm A.I.

Just so you know, i am trying to find a smith to open up that Ruger Bolt face.
If not i will have to put ip with that slow poke 6mm A.I.

Well "a 75-grain V-Max at a blistering 3860 fps" ain't nothing to sneeze at; 6mm BR.com! I did go on Shermanwildcatcartridges.com and I believe that there is a gunsmith listed on there who may be able to help you out! I've read so much data on gunsmithing tht I cannot remember who provided what anymore. Brown Precision I know does a lot of smithing work, however "they ain't a cheep date"! I am currently looking at Hart barrels to make the build, however have not been able to talk with anyone there at the present time. Good luck with finding a smith to do your work.

the 6.5x55 has a case head diameter of .479. the 7x57 has a case head diameter of .473. Rifles have been blown up over that difference.
If you want a 6x55ai based on the 6.5x55, that uses 7x57 brass, then get a 6mm rem AI

the 6.5x55 has a case head diameter of .479. the 7x57 has a case head diameter of .473. Rifles have been blown up over that difference.
If you want a 6x55ai based on the 6.5x55, that uses 7x57 brass, then get a 6mm rem AI
Thats what the 7x57 brass stuff was all about

With the dimensions that you have written about, that's only .006 thousandths of an inch, meaning only .003 thousandths on a side. Opening up a bolt face .003 thousandths of an inch certainly is not going to make any gun blow up. I'm not a gunsmith, and I don't play one on TV, but that I do know. A bolt theoretically can/will wear that much over time, if it even is machined to that exact measurement.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.