6x55 A.I. questions

After i found out how quick a barrel goes in the 6x55 A.I. it was a no brainer for me. How hard is it to make 6rem brass out of 7x57 ?
The barrel life is going to be about the same for the 6mm AI as it was for the 6x55 AI. Both are in the same category for velocity and amount of powder burned. I wouldn't worry about it though. Even if it lasts 1000 rounds, that's a lot of shooting.

I've never personally made 7x57 brass into 6mm Remington. I would think you would need to neck it down in two steps. Once with a 6.5 expander then the 6mm expander. You may be able to do it in one step though. You'll also have to neck turn it when you're finished. Sizing it down from 7mm to 6mm is going to leave the necks thick.

I'm not very familiar with the old tang safety Rugers, so I'm not sure if they had a long action and short action or just a one size fits all type of action. I like to be able to use the box magazine on my hunting rifles. It makes me feel better to have a round or two on hand just in case it's needed. So for me, if I had a short action I would do the .243 Ackley and use an extended mag box if needed. If I had a long action I would either go up to 6.5 or settle for the 6mm AI if I really wanted one.

I am starting to really appreciate high quality, long lasting brass. That's why I really lean towards cartridges with Lapua, Peterson, ADG, Alpha, or Bertram brass available for them. Remington, Winchester, Federal, Hornady, and some others can be good, but often times the primer pockets just don't hold up to max or close to max loads for very long. I seem to find Remington to be some of the best though for holding up and lasting compared to the other more common manufacturers I listed. It's ultimately your decision and your rifle though. I would have to say the 6mm Ackley makes more sense than the 6x55 AI. The Swede case is really nice, but I would just worry about getting dies and a good reamer for it.

I almost forgot, my cousin has a standard 6mm Remington chambered for 105s on a Shilen barrel and it hammers with the old 105gr AMAXs with H1000. I believe he gets right at 3200fps with that bullet and prints sub 1/2 MOA groups all day with it. His brother also has a custom .240 WBY sending 105s at 3300fps. The Weatherby is a good round, but brass can be expensive for it.

I've have a safe full of Ruger 77 tang safety rifles, and they do make both a long and a short actions. I like them as they have been really functional and I have not had any problems with them whatsoever.

So if I'm getting your post right your really looking hard at a LA cartridge you mention 6.5x55 AI or 6mm AI

If your looking at wild cat thats got good performance good barrel life in a long action go with 6.5 Sherman easy to form brass,very good barrel life,and launches a 6.5 140 at 3250+.
Could run 130 at 33-3400
If your looking for a good overall 6.5 that will equal the 6.5x55AI and the 6mm AI without needing to wildcat why not a 6.5 284 it runs on LA as well, and has good brass,easy to load for,and good performance BUT barrel life is a little shorter but if you don't hot rod it would get decent life.
Before I built my 6.5 284 I looked at the 6.5x55AI and decided no gain with it and the pain of fire forming so went with the 65 284 instead. Then I wanted horse power so went with 6.5 Sherman and never looked back.

The barrel life is going to be about the same for the 6mm AI as it was for the 6x55 AI.

It's not the amount of powder, it's the way the plasma is handled as it exits the case mouth. Long necks work better.

This is often touted by people who don't know and don't shoot these cartridges. The reason for keeping the long neck on the 6mm Rem then improving the shoulder is to enhance the life of the chamber throat. Instead of letting the plasma impinge on the sides of the throat as it exits the case, the longer neck and improved shoulder allow it to get past the throat, impinging on the barrel further past the throat. The shoulder angle reflects the plasma into the side of the longer neck, not into the throat. This is part of the reasoning behind the failure of the .243 Win. and the success of the 6mm Creedmoor. I've been shooting these improved version for a long time and I keep very good records after checking chambers with a borescope.

The reality is that you do Not have to make 6mm Rem. from 7x57 brass, it can be made from .257 Roberts (sometimes hard to find), 7x57 OR 6.5x57 RWS which is available through Huntington's. The RWS is the best brass in the world, better than the Lapua which so many seem to idolize. 100 cases will last a long time.

You have to set your dies up to match the go gauge for the reamer you have since all four cases are slightly different. You will neck down from whichever case you choose, twice from 7x57 once from either .257 or 6.5x57. Then use the expander ball to adjust the neck. The necks will likely need to be turned (at least they did for me) when using the 7x57 to get them consistent. Headspace based on the gauge as host cases will have shorter necks. Fireform by headspace as well as a light jam with the bullet. I have not had any case failures when following these standard procedures.

Last edited:
So if I'm getting your post right your really looking hard at a LA cartridge you mention 6.5x55 AI or 6mm AI

If your looking at wild cat thats got good performance good barrel life in a long action go with 6.5 Sherman easy to form brass,very good barrel life,and launches a 6.5 140 at 3250+.
Could run 130 at 33-3400
If your looking for a good overall 6.5 that will equal the 6.5x55AI and the 6mm AI without needing to wildcat why not a 6.5 284 it runs on LA as well, and has good brass,easy to load for,and good performance BUT barrel life is a little shorter but if you don't hot rod it would get decent life.
Before I built my 6.5 284 I looked at the 6.5x55AI and decided no gain with it and the pain of fire forming so went with the 65 284 instead. Then I wanted horse power so went with 6.5 Sherman and never looked back.[/QUOTE

Not smart enough to only quote the part about Sherman's. Sorry.
Rich says the Ruger makes a poor doner for his cartridges as he knows i want to shoot heavier bullets with a throat. Rugers tangs are pain in the rear. There is a company that will open up the mark2 actions though.
I am building a .280 Sherman on a Savage action, that is if i dont go with his .338. Action is on its way next week. Then i will have to decide.
I already have a 7mm-08 A.I. and i love it. So i might go with the .338 Sherman.
The reason i want a .6mm-.243 cal. is for lighter needs. I am not a fan of the .284.
Or its offspring.

I looked up the 6mm Crusader. Very interesting. I knew about the 7x57rws brass. But not the 6.5x57mm. Hmmmm.
So it would be a two step resize and then a fireform. If i fallowed an article right.
Thanks for the tip Sable

It's not the amount of powder, it's the way the plasma is handled as it exits the case mouth. Long necks work better.

This is often touted by people who don't know and don't shoot these cartridges. The reason for keeping the long neck on the 6mm Rem then improving the shoulder is to enhance the life of the chamber throat. Instead of letting the plasma impinge on the sides of the throat as it exits the case, the longer neck and improved shoulder allow it to get past the throat, impinging on the barrel further past the throat. The shoulder angle reflects the plasma into the side of the longer neck, not into the throat. This is part of the reasoning behind the failure of the .243 Win. and the success of the 6mm Creedmoor. I've been shooting these improved version for a long time and I keep very good records after checking chambers with a borescope.

The reality is that you do Not have to make 6mm Rem. from 7x57 brass, it can be made from .257 Roberts (sometimes hard to find), 7x57 OR 6.5x57 RWS which is available through Huntington's. The RWS is the best brass in the world, better than the Lapua which so many seem to idolize. 100 cases will last a long time.

You have to set your dies up to match the go gauge for the reamer you have since all four cases are slightly different. You will neck down from whichever case you choose, twice from 7x57 once from either .257 or 6.5x57. Then use the expander ball to adjust the neck. The necks will likely need to be turned (at least they did for me) when using the 7x57 to get them consistent. Headspace based on the gauge as host cases will have shorter necks. Fireform by headspace as well as a light jam with the bullet. I have not had any case failures when following these standard procedures.
Your throat explanation is what the Shermans are all about!

Your throat explanation is what the Shermans are all about!
Hello sir, so whatcha think I should do With that Ruger action?
.243 A.I.
6mm A.I.
6mm ?...
After I studied how make brass if the Rem. brass won't hold up, I am not the least bit worried so that isn't a factor.

I always like to keep the flame point contained within the neck (as Sable said) so sharper shoulder and longer neck along with what velocity you are looking to achieve at a given coal.Also, quality of brass and available ammo, if that's a concern. I don't personally have anything in the shorter '06 head size because it is already well covered. You might make a pluses and minuses chart and see how your priorities skake out?
If you don't need the top velocity choices, the 6 Creed would be pretty hard to beat for all around. There are a lot of good choices for that class of performance.

I always like to keep the flame point contained within the neck (as Sable said) so sharper shoulder and longer neck along with what velocity you are looking to achieve at a given coal.Also, quality of brass and available ammo, if that's a concern. I don't personally have anything in the shorter '06 head size because it is already well covered. You might make a pluses and minuses chart and see how your priorities skake out?
If you don't need the top velocity choices, the 6 Creed would be pretty hard to beat for all around. There are a lot of good choices for that class of performance.

I am stuck on the 6mm A.I., can't see myself jumping on the Creed wagon anytime soon. Shucks, I drive a '97 Powerstroke. It's been A.I.'d too. LMAO
But if I did do the .243 A.I. , brass would be a cinch. :rolleyes:

I understand . THATS WHY MY STUFF IS DIFFERENT:D
Hey. This would already be solved if Ruger wasn't such a p.i.a.
I mean.. if it were a Savage, a simple bolt face swap and "Shazam"…
Another Sherman build, but oh no.....:mad:

Ummm... you never gave a solid vote !

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.