6x47 lapua and 87 grain bullets?

win270wsm

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the 6x47 lapua and 87 gr vmax or Berger vld hunting bullets? Picked up a savage 243 and am looking to re barrel it. Also, wanting to know if there it is worth getting a 26" tube since the gun is so efficient that a 24" tube will do the same. Thanks for you help in advance.

I'm waiting for my 20" 6x47L barrel to be chambered. I think I will 95grn - 105 bullets.
But my mate has his shooting 87grn bergers and thinks cutting his tube from 24" to 22" was best move he has made all year. Very little loss of velocity, not sure exact figures.

I would just stick with the .243 Winchester. It is an accurate, fast, efficient cartridge and there are components available everywhere for it. I shoot 87gr V-MAXs in mine at 3250fps with a standard load without any pressure in a 26" barrel. The same load will push an 87 about 3200fps with a 24" barrel. Hard to beat the ol' .243 for an all around versatile 6mm.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts