87 grain V-Max

Gary Morgan

I just got back from the Texas Panhandle. Prairie dog hunting went really well. I got four over 800 yards and one at 1,020 yards. I was amazed at the effectiveness and accuracy of the 87 grain Hornady V-Max. It blew a fifty-cent size hole in the dog and knocked her over the hole and about four feet back. We examined the bullet strike on the ground and found only one small shard of jacket material. Either it hit the ground and bounced or totally disintegrated after it passed throught the PD. I was wondering if anyone else would share their experiences with this same bullet at equal or greater distances. I was using a 12-twist Shilen chambered in 6x284 screwed to a 700 SA Remington. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Not quite that far; only 598 yards on crow and countless number of squirrels at 400 to 500 yards. That's about the outer limit of my 6MM rebarreled Argentine 1909 Mauser. The V-Max is an excellent longrange varmint bullet. I'm only pushing this bullet at 3300 fps and it shoot flatter than my 300 Win Mag loaded with 180 grain bullet at 1000 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.