87 V Max load

Aussie

Anyone found a load that makes the 87gn V Max shoot little groups in a .243 AI ? Every time I think I'm getting close the next group goes to sh-t .Have tried WXR , H4831SC and H4350 . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
If not , how about something else with good BC in a similar weight eg. 88 or 90 gn Berger or 90 gn Lapua Scenar ?

I could give Bushchook a good answer but I'm on his sh-t list because I gave him another answer on a different post he got butt-hurt over, oh well gday
B

Bushchook,

DO not have a load for you but I would say you amy be having problems with the burn rate of the powders you are using. While they are listed alot, I personally feel these powders are to slow for this case capacity.

Try something a bit faster and see what happens, you may loose a bit of velocity but generally accuracy benefits from slightly quicker powders.

Some times it doesn't, worth a try though.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Lapua brass with 210 Fed primers lighting about 47.8 grains of H4831SC pushes 90 gr Scenars out of my 24" barrel at 3,299 fps and into 2.0" at 626 yards from my AI. The Scenars don't kill worth a **** though. I have yet to get a clean kill with one, so I am thinking about trying to get 87gr V-Max's to shoot. What exactly do you mean when you say you get a good group then a bad one?

Rick

First , thanks for your suggestions .
Good group vs bad group is from 5 into .550 (with 4 in about .300) to 3 in about an inch .
Have tried WXR (RL 22) at 48gns and got a .925 group for 4 shots in my rifle . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Kirby , have loaded up about 20 rounds with Varget and will give that a go .
Was hoping to use the 90 gn Lapuas on game so might give that idea a miss now.
I have 600 rounds thru this thing and only load that works is 46.5 of Varget with the 55 gn Nosler .This shoots into the 3's , 4's and 5's .
65 different loads tried with 5 powders and 5 projectiles . Do I give up and just shoot the 55's ?

6Brguy ,
26 inch long by 9 inch twist . Have tried 70gn Nosler BT , 70 gn Sierra MK ,75gn and 87gn V Max , 95 Berger VLD and 55 Nosler .

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.