87 grain berger

I have had the 87gr v-max blow up on the shoulder bone of coyotes. So with that being said I now personally stay clear of using them on anything but varmints at long range. I prefer the 88gr Berger varmints for coyotes, they have a little heavier jacket and penetrate better, even breaking some bone on chest shots. If you have a 1:10 you could try shooting a 95gr VLD but with a .243 it may not be fast enough to stabilize. But again, ever rifle has its own personality. One of the most beautiful things about a 6mm is the bullet selection.

The 87gr VLD would be a superior bullet for deer sized game vs. a 87gr v-max IMHO. I would choose a bullet that retains its weight and kinetic energy vs. a fragmenting bullet any day of the week for deer or antelope.

I would consider the 85gr interbond for deer size game but boy are they $$$. They should work in a 1:10 .243

Midway expects the 87gr bergers in on 5/10. They have always been correct on these dates IMHO

I tried the 87 grain V-max in my 6mm284 and had groups that resembled shotgun patterns. The 85 grain SGK HPBT shoots very, very well. Too bad it has the BC of a coffee cup.

I have a box of 87 grain Bergers on order at Midway. Hope they shoot as good as the 95 Bergers do.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.