6mm Twist rate

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Guest, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

What can anyone tell me about the affects of a 1/9" twist on a 55gr 243/6mm projectile?
    I am thinking of setting up a 6mm barrel for shooting the 107SMK but was wondering if I could still shoot the lighter pills ocassionally?
    I know it won't work in the reverse i.e. slower twist to suit the lighter pills will not stabilize the heavy SMK.

2. Michael Eichele

Michael Eichele Well-Known Member

You can always shoot shorter bullets than the twist was designed for. It might not work as well as if it were a slower twist but will work.

In extreme cases of tighter than needed twists, pressure can be increased. Watch your loads. Typically, the preasure increases, and the velocity decreases. That the biggest problem you will have.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks Michael
    The pressure scenario is certainly a new "twist" I would not have considered.

4. blaster

blaster Member

In a big 6mm case Like 6mm AI it would blow up 55 gr bullets in an 9 twist, but a 6mm BR would not. You can shoot the lighter bullets in an 9 just watch your speed.

Mark

5. ryan m

ryan m Active Member

my rifle is a 1:10 and I shoot them all the time. Have a look here, most of these guys are using 1:8 or 1:9
    mikes 6mmAI [age

6. ryan m

ryan m Active Member

by the way mine is a 6mm AI and I am getting about 4000.