6mm Twist rate

G

What can anyone tell me about the affects of a 1/9" twist on a 55gr 243/6mm projectile?
I am thinking of setting up a 6mm barrel for shooting the 107SMK but was wondering if I could still shoot the lighter pills ocassionally?
I know it won't work in the reverse i.e. slower twist to suit the lighter pills will not stabilize the heavy SMK.

You can always shoot shorter bullets than the twist was designed for. It might not work as well as if it were a slower twist but will work.

In extreme cases of tighter than needed twists, pressure can be increased. Watch your loads. Typically, the preasure increases, and the velocity decreases. That the biggest problem you will have.

Thanks Michael
The pressure scenario is certainly a new "twist" I would not have considered.

In a big 6mm case Like 6mm AI it would blow up 55 gr bullets in an 9 twist, but a 6mm BR would not. You can shoot the lighter bullets in an 9 just watch your speed.

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.