6mm barrel twist rate advice

Guinness

So, I'm interested in a new rifle mostly for range shooting, etc. and I've been seriously considering the Patriot Valley Arms "John Hancock" edition in 6mm Creedmoor. The standard build spec calls for a 1:8" rate of twist and I'm waffling a bunch about whether its quick enough to shoot the 105-110 class bullets? They do offer a 1:7.5" but the rifle is no longer the special edition (not that its a deal breaker), it's an upcharge and I'd like to be frugal within reason.

I'm relatively well-versed in twist rate considerations so maybe what I'm really interested in is a "what would you do?" type of poll and/or personal experience with your thoughts if you're willing to provide them. What say you? Thanks!

G

When Hornady develop the round they recommend a 1:7.5 twist for that round. I have a Ruger with a 1:7.7 twist and shoot 107 with no problems. If you want to shoot the 110 grain Sierra, then I would recommend you not go any slower than 7.5 .

I've shot the 115gr D-Tac in a 1/8 just fine. The 1/8 is PERFECT for a 105gr Berger and at Creed velocities the 110gr won't gain you anything over the 105gr anyway.

So, I'm interested in a new rifle mostly for range shooting, etc. and I've been seriously considering the Patriot Valley Arms "John Hancock" edition in 6mm Creedmoor. The standard build spec calls for a 1:8" rate of twist and I'm waffling a bunch about whether its quick enough to shoot the 105-110 class bullets? They do offer a 1:7.5" but the rifle is no longer the special edition (not that its a deal breaker), it's an upcharge and I'd like to be frugal within reason.

I'm relatively well-versed in twist rate considerations so maybe what I'm really interested in is a "what would you do?" type of poll and/or personal experience with your thoughts if you're willing to provide them. What say you? Thanks!

G

I would recommend a 1 in 8 twist for a wide range of bullet weights.

1 in 8 is more than enough to handle the heavies and would not be as hard on the bullet jackets.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

G
I just built Piecre TI 6mm/284 with a Kieger 1:8".(coues deer).The 105 HYB shot .4's, 115's shot better then .3's. The problem was at 800 yards they would start tumbling. I took the barrel off after 48 rounds, very much wanted to use 115's. I wished I started with the 1:7.5".

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.