6mm-284 for long range hunting

243winman

Hey guys anyone out there hunting with a 6mm-284 thinking about having one built?
1-8" twist barrel for 105 grain Berger VLD bullets for antelope and mule deer and maybe elk if one gives me a shot... What's your thoughts. I am recoil shy an don't like shooting large rifles. "I know how can a adult man be recoil shy well here's one and not to proud to say anything about it". I just shot better with smaller caliber rifles. The 243 Winchester I love to death. I can put a bullet in the right spot every time I pass up on a lot of angle shots too but my thought is if a bullet has around 300 foot pounds of energy you can kill if the would channel stays open. Or we would never be able to bow hunt big game animals.lightbulb

I'm having a 6x284 built now. 27" Broughton 5C barrel, light varmint contour, 7 twist on a Vanguard action. Really looking forward to it. Primary bullet will be the CE 100 and secondary will be the Berger 105 Hybrid. Not my first choice for elk but that's your decision. Also having a 300 RUM built which will be my primary elk rifle. It will have a brake, mainly to keep on target after the shot.

If you like the 243 the 6-284 will add 200-300 fps to it. They say its a barrel burner but I've had mine for 10 years and still going strong.....The 50 rounds of 6-284 is only on its second reload.
I like the 243 for doggin where a lot of round are needed but the 6-284 gets the call for those fools that think they are safe @ 750 yeards:D

Long range / low recoil?? Try a rifle in .260 caliber! Heavier slugs than a 243....as much speed... Thats why my "biggie" is a 260 ( .264 diameter)

There's no question about it that this cartridge can drive those thin little 6mm slugs about as fast as anything can make them go... I would imagine no animal hit in the lungs with a 107 bullet traveling at those speeds would run very far HOWEVER.. a hit with a poorly constructed bullet to a shoulder or even a rib at those velocities could cause an animal some serious suffering until you got there... Also, with that much powder being burned in a .243 bore the throat couldn't last long and I'm not sure it would be worth the effort.. maybe a switch to .264 or 284 would serve you better and the barrel life would be considerably longer.

My first custom rifle was chambered in 6mm-284, I still have it & I wouldn't trade it for anything. I'm running a 1-8" twist 28" stainless Kreiger screwed to a 700 Long action.

If you're going to use a long action, the 6-284 is a fantastic cartridge with excellent components available. For a short action, not so much.:rolleyes:

You can push the 107 smk somewhere between 3300-3500fps, the 115DTAC should be 3100-3300 & boasts an advertised G1 of ~.590 which is right where the 6.5 SMKs are with a 400fps advantage. (note, 28" or longer barrel).

Is it hard on throats, sure, you stuffin a good bit of powder down a purdy small hole. Then again, Lamborgini's aren't known for great brake life either. You pay for performance, period. If you want long barrel life buy a 308, if you want superflat trajectory coupled with light recoil & match winning accuracy, the 6-284 will do it all.

PS- stated above was a comment in regards to elk, I won't get in an ethical debate here but 6mm isn't what I would consider an "elk slayer". Will it do the job? sure, most of the time, sometimes it might not. For deer & 'lopes, it should do very well out to a good distance. That being said, I won't be packing mine out of elk camp.

t

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.