600 yd. target show me your best

308 nate

I just had to post a picture of this target I shot a couple weeks ago getting ready for a competition. Please post pixs of your best targets as I love to see little tiny groups at long range /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
I switched over to molly coated bullets so I started increasing my powder charge by 2/10 of a grain and I found the sweet spot at a whole grain over my former load.
all groups were fired from the prone position with the
bi-pod. All five shot groups were under minute of angle.
The last 5-shot group with three in the X and two just above it in the 10. measured 2.25"! I couldn't wipe the grin off my face after I brough that target in. Conditions were very good on the last 5-shot group.Just before dark and winds had calmed to about 5MPH. at 4 o'clock. the other groups were shot with a little more wind in the 12 -18 MPH. range. Oh yes, I was shooting a .260AI with 142SMK's on top of 4831SC 308Nate

Nate,
I don't have pic taken, but the target is downstairs in my load room /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Not complete as yours since it was a 4-shot group (intentionally). It was with my 6.5-284 XP-100 when it still had it's yellow H-S stock on it (now it has a rear grip McMillan Bench stock). Have a modified 20x Leupold Long Eye Relief scope, using Lapua brass, H-4350, fed match primers and 140 A-Max's. Greg Tannel did all the work. Had one of my friends out with me at the range who also happens to be one my church members (Roy Jackson). He also built my son's 250 Sav. AI XP for deer hunting. Anyway the group measure 1.576 inches.
This was done from the bench not with a bi-pod using a Hart front rest with a Hart Accuracy Asset on the forend.
I have not shot @ 600 yards on paper to repeat it, but given good conditions I believe it could, as could a couple other XP's I have. I can take a pic (35mm) and get posted later if you want

xphunter,
A 1-1/2" group with a pistol at 600yds. Is AWESOME!!
I haven't played with the XP 100's but would love to in the future. What would the velocity differance be between the 6.5-284 and a .260 in the shorter barrels of the Xp 100?
I have talked to some people that tell me that anything under an 1" group is a freak accident and to think your pushing that with a pistol at 600 yds....O.K. well, maybe pistol isn't the right term to use.
Yes, I would love to see the picture but don't feel you need to do it to prove it to me...I believe you.

I was shooting my 7mmwsm at 100 yds. shortly after barrel break in, I was shooting a 5-shot group, but after the third shot went through the exact same hole I couldn't bring myself to shoot shot #4 when I got down to the target
for closer inspection I just about thought I had missed the last two shots... but you don't miss the target with a gun that's shooting .25 consistantly. well, anyway congratulations on some AWESOME shooting!
308nate

I shot a 600 yard group about a month ago that measured 1.7". The first four were .525 and the fifth opened the group up to 1.7". I was shooting from a rest on the ground,300 win mag with 190 bergers. But a few days later two of my bullets never made it to the 600 yard target costing me a match. Now that probably rings a bell. We will have to get together some time and do some shooting and I will show you that target. Get back to me and we will exchange numbers.

Steve,
Yes, that does ring a bell. You were doing some AWESOME shooting that day. If I remember correctly, if just one of those bullets that didn't make it had touched the target it would have made you match winner.

1.7 at 600 yds...That's incredible. I'd love to see the target.

Are you going to the long range palma match June 10th?
I hope you can make it ..even though you'll probably beat me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif If I end up going I'll be trying out a
.243 wssm rouge with the 115 dtac in the "F" class.
308nate

Nathan Dagley
Straight Shot Gunsmithing
1-701-794-3276 home
1-701-880-3276 shop.
You can get ahold of me anytime.

Nathan, I will call you some time this week. I have a remington short action bolt I would like fluted and the bolt face trued. I like the looks of your work. I am not sure I will shoot the next match. I hate to burn up my .300 barrel shooting paper, but I guese thats why they make new ones! I was thinking of using a .308 that shoots well. I have a 175 SMK load that shoots great but I will have to play the wind game more. Well I will talk to you later!

Nathan,
The performance of a 6.5-284 in a SP is basicially equal to what a 260 Rem can do in a rifle.
My SP's will get from 2700-2775 with a 140 grain pill.
A Specialty Handgun built right and loaded right will shoot (or has the capability to if the nut behind the trigger is capable) just as good as a rifle. You lose some in MV compared to a rifle, but one plus of a SP is your barrel is extremely stiff because of the shortness compared to a rifle.

Nice shooting Nate.............. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Shot at 1000 yards IBS BR match in Quantico VA. 6.5/284 142g SMK 3.666"

410368.jpg

Nate,

Here is my personel best for 5 rounds @ 600 yds. It is 2.273" shot with my 260 Rem, 140 Amax. This is the rifle I use for precision rifle and sniper competitions.

600YD260REM.JPG

Steve,
I will be looking forward to your call. The .308 with the 175 SMK's will do just fine at 1000 yds. and the way you were shooting with those up and down winds every five minutes all day long, you were reading the wind better than I was..... well, anyway It would be great if you made it.
have a good day,
308nate

xphunter,
Thanks for the info on the xp100's
I definately see the advantage of the stiff barrel, but velocity is a serious advantage for time of flight.
I'm running 2850 with the 142's in a 25" 5C barrel.
308nate

crow mag,
That is some awesome shooting!
I have never done a 5-shot group at 1,000 yds. with the same gun I have a 20 shot group that measures 15" and then I have a 1200 yd., 5-shot that measures 9"
Thanks for posting your target.
308nate

Shawn,
That's an incredable group! I wish mine were on a clean target like that. These .260's really shoot.
By the way, you build some awfully nice looking and shooting rifles. I saw your post on teflon/molly coating I have also been working with the teflon/molly coatings by KG for quite some time and I picked up some new things from you I'll have to try,thanks!
good shootin',
308nate

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.