Best 7mm bullet out to 600 yds

At the ranges he's talking I've found them to be to frangible/explosive tending to break up with high velocity impacts.

I found them to be softer than regular Accubonds but I wouldn't call them explosive. They WILL shed material but I never found one that exploded.

You will wind up with a mushroomed base

I found this under the hide of a Zebra after it broke the shoulder and went through the lungs. From a 175gr bullet the recovered weight was 77gr

Attachments

• B453FF1B-9D16-4FB7-A2C5-7D150AFE9189.png
    B453FF1B-9D16-4FB7-A2C5-7D150AFE9189.png
    5.3 MB · Views: 75
I found them to be softer than regular Accubonds but I wouldn't call them explosive. They WILL shed material but I never found one that exploded.

You will wind up with a mushroomed base

I found this under the hide of a Zebra after it broke the shoulder and went through the lungs. From a 175gr bullet the recovered weight was 77gr

You're probably not running the same bullets at the same velocity I'm getting.

The 6.5LRM runs 140's right at 3400fps, the STW and 300 Rum give pretty ridiculous velocities as well.

It would be hard to get the huge gaping exit wounds I was seeing with them absent bullet breakup.

Not quite as bad as the NBT's, or SST's for sure but still very much unacceptable by my standards.

Again, admittedly I'm a terminal performance freak and have in my mind what a perfect exit wound should look like.

Our cover is so heavy in lots of places you absolutely need to drop them in their tracks so for many years I shot nothing but spine shots and primarily the high shoulder/spine. Those shots tend to waste a lot of meat without perfect bullet performance so my OCD really kicked into high gear in my search for the right bullet.

Of the traditional bullets as I said the Hornady Interbond and Nosler AB performed best for me at sub 600yds ranges, the Peregrines the best of the Mono's, all bullets for that matter, followed then by the Barnes LRX.

Fortunately I have opportunities to put more than a hundred game animals in the salt every year so I can get a lifetime worth of terminal data compared to most folks in a single year.

You're probably not running the same bullets at the same velocity I'm getting.

The 6.5LRM runs 140's right at 3400fps, the STW and 300 Rum give pretty ridiculous velocities as well.

It would be hard to get the huge gaping exit wounds I was seeing with them absent bullet breakup.

Not quite as bad as the NBT's, or SST's for sure but still very much unacceptable by my standards.

Again, admittedly I'm a terminal performance freak and have in my mind what a perfect exit wound should look like.

Our cover is so heavy in lots of places you absolutely need to drop them in their tracks so for many years I shot nothing but spine shots and primarily the high shoulder/spine. Those shots tend to waste a lot of meat without perfect bullet performance so my OCD really kicked into high gear in my search for the right bullet.

Of the traditional bullets as I said the Hornady Interbond and Nosler AB performed best for me at sub 600yds ranges, the Peregrines the best of the Mono's, all bullets for that matter, followed then by the Barnes LRX.

Fortunately I have opportunities to put more than a hundred game animals in the salt every year so I can get a lifetime worth of terminal data compared to most folks in a single year.

Wow, that's crazy high velocity! In that case I wouldn't use the ABLR's either. I'm getting 2,815fos out of a 7mmRemMag with 175 ABLRS.

How do you manage to kill so many animals per year? That's incredible!

If you were loading for my setup, what would you choose as a general all around big game bullet?

Your advice, based on your extensive, real-life experience is very relevant to me and I would appreciate your advice

Opinions are like elbows and most folks have at least one or two so I'll throw mine out there. There's been a lot of good advice already presented in this thread from several!

I've taken lots of deer with a wide range of projectiles and most performed reasonably well, a few not so well. Out of all the reloads my boys and I have shot, I have the greatest confidence in a Nosler Accubond. To clarify, I haven't tried the Hammers or a few of the latest productions.

However, up untill this past weekend we have never recovered an accubond. My son took his largest buck ever, a high shoulder hit dropped the buck in it's tracks. As he approached it lying on the ground the buck lifted it's head and in hast he shot it again behind the shoulder. The accubond was recovered on the opposite side of the neck about 4" shy of it's ear. It traveled nearly 2.5' thru the chest, neck and destroyed several vertebra on a 200lb + buck. The bullet retained 81% of it's weight and mushroomed 2x caliber. That's excellent performance for any bullet in my opinion. The first was a pass thru and unrecovered.

Approximately 30 mins before this I took a large buck and a doe with a newly worked up load using a 129gr sst. The buck was 40 yds quartering to, bullet placement was in the base of the neck and into the opposite shoulder, he was drt. The doe was straight on at 75 yds, bullet placement was dead center on the point of the brisket. It took out the top of it's heart and continued thru the center of both lungs, she ran about 75 yds dead on her feet.

Upon investigation of the wound channels, I never recovered any bullet fragments from the buck larger than a number 8 bird shot. One fragment approximately the size of a BB was found in the doe. Both deer died, but the bullets on my deer virtually disintegrated with no pass thru. My son's was a 7mm 140gr NAB at 2,700fps, mine was a 6.5, 129gr SST at 2,830fps. I am currently working up a load for my rifle with the proven (to me) Accubonds.

My 243, 257rob, 280, 7wsm, 300wm and 338wm all are reloaded with accubonds in appropriate weights and the 6.5 will be before long. Just my opinion.

Wow, that's crazy high velocity! In that case I wouldn't use the ABLR's either. I'm getting 2,815fos out of a 7mmRemMag with 175 ABLRS.

How do you manage to kill so many animals per year? That's incredible!

If you were loading for my setup, what would you choose as a general all around big game bullet?

Your advice, based on your extensive, real-life experience is very relevant to me and I would appreciate your advice
I shot the 7mm Rm for about 20-25 years. Then the STW came out, I fell in love with the Mod 70 Sharp Shooter's and a whole new love affair began.

Mon's, nothing beats the consistent expansion of the Peregrine VLR4's. They also shoot very accurately and are awfully hard to beat inside of 600yds. The 150gr would be a good choice. It's going to be about as long as the 162-168gr bi metal bullets but will run considerably faster due to the drive band design.

The 154gr Hornady Interbond is a long time favorite as well. You can't really run them fast enough to make them fail but at any reasonable range always expand consistently whether punching ribs or breaking shoulders.

I've had very good luck with the Barnes LRX and regular Nosler Accubond.

We tend to get to chasing fads here pretty bad but honestly unless you're shooting well beyond the 600yds mark you're not going to get any appreciable improvement in shooting moving up to the highest BC bullets none of which performs adequately to suit me on the terminal end.

How do I manage to shoot so many critters? I have been a guide and outfitter to varying degrees for a couple of decades and do my best to keep the feral hogs from ruining my neighbor's ranches. I focus on killing the herd boars and sows as that's the most effective means of keeping the population under control so that means most of what I'm shooting will run 350-600lbs and the old bars can have an armor plate up to 3" thick over each shoulder and across the base of the neck and chest. I've seen big boars soak up rounds and survive that would amaze you.

About 1992 we killed one in excess of 700lbs and when prepping the cape the armor plates knows as the Shield has to be completely removed all the way down to the skin. We found both .243 and 30 cal rounds, probably from a .30-30 and .30 carbine buried in his shield along with copious amounts of bird shot and buck shot. Damned tough animals.

In the end I'll shoot several hundred hogs each year to the point we end up leaving about half or more some years for the coyotes because we can only eat so many, then we quickly run out of friends that want them. I also pay for commercial processing and that can run upwards of 3-6k per year. When we run out of people to take the free pork the balance gets donated to a local food bank and several churches but still, that's a big chunk out of my wallet on a very limited income.

I shot the Nosler NBT for many years but had consistent failures to penetrate on big hogs which sent me on my search for a better, more consistent bullet.

The Nosler Partition gives fantastic penetration but the forward half frequently sheds completely and you end up with the rest just punching through like an ice pick. Yes with a well placed shot the animal is going to die but with a marginal shot they may run a very long ways before expiring or even eventually survive it.

Opinions are like elbows and most folks have at least one or two so I'll throw mine out there. There's been a lot of good advice already presented in this thread from several!

I've taken lots of deer with a wide range of projectiles and most performed reasonably well, a few not so well. Out of all the reloads my boys and I have shot, I have the greatest confidence in a Nosler Accubond. To clarify, I haven't tried the Hammers or a few of the latest productions.

However, up untill this past weekend we have never recovered an accubond. My son took his largest buck ever, a high shoulder hit dropped the buck in it's tracks. As he approached it lying on the ground the buck lifted it's head and in hast he shot it again behind the shoulder. The accubond was recovered on the opposite side of the neck about 4" shy of it's ear. It traveled nearly 2.5' thru the chest, neck and destroyed several vertebra on a 200lb + buck. The bullet retained 81% of it's weight and mushroomed 2x caliber. That's excellent performance for any bullet in my opinion. The first was a pass thru and unrecovered.

Approximately 30 mins before this I took a large buck and a doe with a newly worked up load using a 129gr sst. The buck was 40 yds quartering to, bullet placement was in the base of the neck and into the opposite shoulder, he was drt. The doe was straight on at 75 yds, bullet placement was dead center on the point of the brisket. It took out the top of it's heart and continued thru the center of both lungs, she ran about 75 yds dead on her feet.

Upon investigation of the wound channels, I never recovered any bullet fragments from the buck larger than a number 8 bird shot. One fragment approximately the size of a BB was found in the doe. Both deer died, but the bullets on my deer virtually disintegrated with no pass thru. My son's was a 7mm 140gr NAB at 2,700fps, mine was a 6.5, 129gr SST at 2,830fps. I am currently working up a load for my rifle with the proven (to me) Accubonds.

My 243, 257rob, 280, 7wsm, 300wm and 338wm all are reloaded with accubonds in appropriate weights and the 6.5 will be before long. Just my opinion.

If you like the Accubond you'll love the Hornady Interbond which is finally back I think in full production. That was my go to for the 7mm Rem, .264wm, and 7mm STW for many years.

I see these threads alot. Truth is there is no perfect bullet. In general you have 3 different designs. Cup and core bullets designed to shed weight and transfer energy to the target. This can result in massive tissue destruction and quick kills. The downside is they can damage meat if shot placement is not perfect or they can lose too much weight and fail to penetrate at high velocity hard bone impacts.

Then you have your bonded bullets. They shed less weight and are more likely to pass through. They will not transfer as much energy as a cup and core but are more likely to penetrate bone and stay intact.

Finally you haver your mono bullets barnes etc. They retain nearly 100 % of their weight so energy transfer and tissue destruction is less but they will most always achieve complete penetration even through heavy bone.

Now within these classes of bullets you have certain cup and core with heavier jackets and certain bonded bullets like the ablr that have thinner jackets and will expand at lower velocities.

It's up to each hunter to match the bullet type to your desired performance. If you hunt long range you need a bullet designed to expand at lower velocity. Ablr,Berger,eldx even the eldm. Hunting big heavy boned animals at close range a bonded or mono is a better choice.

Cajun,
There is a new class of bullets, the lathe turned mono that sheds petals and has a solid shank to penetrate. This is what the Hammers, Cutting Edge and Lehigh Defense that I've used do. And just like any other type of bullet, they are not all created equal.

When it comes to solid copper bullets I'm not sure wether they are lathe turned or punched out with a die that matters as much as the nose cavity design and depth. Also the sd of the bullet is a factor as well. For example in .284 with a high sd and a tipped barnes I had terrible results even at 3000 fps. Bullet just zipped through chest cavity minimal shock. Deer ran
over 200 yds before bleeding out. In contrast 35 caliber barnes tsx open tip low sd bullet. Massive expansion and shock,tissue damage at 2500-2600 fps impact. Some of the newer coppers like hammers,cavity backs seem to open quickly and expand do a good bit of tissue damage.

When it comes to solid copper bullets I'm not sure wether they are lathe turned or punched out with a die that matters as much as the nose cavity design and depth. Also the sd of the bullet is a factor as well. For example in .284 with a high sd and a tipped barnes I had terrible results even at 3000 fps. Bullet just zipped through chest cavity minimal shock. Deer ran
over 200 yds before bleeding out. In contrast 35 caliber barnes tsx open tip low sd bullet. Massive expansion and shock,tissue damage at 2500-2600 fps impact. Some of the newer coppers like hammers,cavity backs seem to open quickly and expand do a good bit of tissue damage.

You and Bravo both definitely have it right, not all Mono's are created equally. Some are very different by design and intent and very specialized for certain jobs.

You are correct. I have no doubt I could drive a 140 ttsx 284 barnes through an elk ******* to elbow. But broadside through the ribs on a 180# whitetail nope. Autopsy looked like a bow shot deer. Minimal tissue damage. In my 350 rem mag the 200 tsx is devastating on whitetails.

You are correct. I have no doubt I could drive a 140 ttsx 284 barnes through an elk *Rule 4 Violation* to elbow. But broadside through the ribs on a 180# whitetail nope. Autopsy looked like a bow shot deer. Minimal tissue damage. In my 350 rem mag the 200 tsx is devastating on whitetails.
Haven't shot the TTSX much in anything other than 5.56 and they were very good on hogs from 300lbs down with head/neck shots at 300yds or less.

I have been having very good luck with them in all three 6.5's, one of the STW's and the 375 Ruger.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts