6 years too long to wait for rifle?

I know, I hadn't even met the woman that is now my wife when I started into this build. If I don't get a reply tomorrow or don't get a rifle or my parts and money back what do I do? I can't really stop by as the guy is 3 states away. Also all the correspondence we had was by email. And my old email provider is now defunct. So I really don't have the information for the deal that we had agreed upon.

Will he answer the phone or return a phone call? That would be my first option from afar. I didn't have that option because my gunsmith wouldn't answer the phone or return a phone call during the last 8 months of my 2 1/2 year ordeal.

Three states away sounds relatively easy compared to one nation away. Me in Alaska. The gunsmith in the 48 states.

I feel your anguish. I was there one year ago. I finally called the manufacturer of my custom action, who was located relatively near the gunsmith, and asked if they had a FFL record of transferring my action to the gunsmith. They said yes, and then asked what was up, sensing that something was awry. I'd selected this smith, in part, because the action manufacturer had suggested him. After hearing what I'd been through, they agreed to try to mediate the mess on my behalf, and were able to retrieve my action and all of my build parts. It did cost me some extra money, but that was minor compared to the loss of all by build components, which I'd already resigned myself to.

Like I said, I understand the anxiety, having just been there - done that. After 2 1/2 years I was happy to simply retrieve all of my rifle parts and pieces. I should clarify that I'd provided my gunsmith with all of the build parts. There was no wait time for any of the parts. I'd basically given up on ever retrieving a completed rifle. I would have bailed as soon as the communications ceased if I'd been local to the gunsmith. It took me another 8 months to finally stumble into a solution. I never called the action manufacturer thinking they'd intercede on my behalf. I contacted them to obtain proof that they'd transferred my action to my gunsmith. I was preparing to pursue a formal legal remedy.

6 years? That's gotta be an all-time record. Something is seriously - VERY seriously - wrong with your gunsmith. Shy of lying on his deathbed, you should have received your rifle at least 3 years ago. No gunsmith in the world is worth a 3-year wait for a common custom rifle build. Let alone a 6 year wait. 6 years is 1/10 of some folks entire life. And 14% of an adult life, if one lives to be 60 years old. I see folks in the obituary in their 50s on a common basis.

You're for sure in a bad situation. If he'll talk with you on the phone, cry Uncle and tell him you simply want to retrieve ALL of your build parts and move on. If he won't talk over the phone, then it's even more dire since he's out of state. Think it over and choose the best option you can come up with. Doing nothing is getting you nowhere - at a snail's pace. How much worse could doing something be? Perhaps a road trip with a tape recorder running, along with a friend/witness.

I've never ID'd the smith that failed me on a public Forum. But I have not one good thing to say about him verbally.

If you live to be 80 that sorry ***** has wasted 7.5% of you life. F that!

If you can only hunt from say 18-72 which is 54 years he's wasted 11.1% of that time.

I'd put that sucker out on every available gun forum and social media, report him to the ATF, the chamber of commerce and file a complaint with the district attorney's office. Then I'd file a small claims court action against him. I might even send postcards to his neighbors.

Frankly I'd have done all that at two years. People do what you inspect and not what you expect.

That's my opinion and I'm stickin' to it!

~Robert

You can contact the DA/Sheriff of the county in which the Gunsmith resides and explain your situation, they can often get things moving without having to lay charges, but they will need an itemized list of what you sent (original receipts for parts/record of transfer) or go to your lawyer and have him send an official letter, requesting the return of all parts.

I have unfortunately have had to do both, some years back and just the visit /inquiry from law enforcement/lawyer resolved the issue and all parts/action was returned.

Hope this helps.

Not going to say the name yet as I am still hopeful that the email I sent last night will get a good reply. Doubtful, but I'm not going to throw their name out without giving them one more chance to make good.

I bet it's an automated response that says he's busy and he will respond to emails when he can!!! If it's who I think, get a yahoo email address for free. That will go into another box on his email and he will see it.

Yes, 6 years is too long to wait. However, like so many situations there are always two sides to every story. We have only heard yours and I'm pretty sure that is all we will hear. I was out to his place just last week and I can assure you he is BUSY with builds.
I cannot and will not speak for Kirby, but he I believe he still councils potential customers that wait time is 18-24 months. I know he feels that is too long. I also know that he never shuts down communication unless there is a very good reason. I suspect you know what is really going on. To my knowledge, all 'smiths' on this site are honest and reputable. Good luck

Yes, 6 years is too long to wait. However, like so many situations there are always two sides to every story. We have only heard yours and I'm pretty sure that is all we will hear. I was out to his place just last week and I can assure you he is BUSY with builds.
I cannot and will not speak for Kirby, but he I believe he still councils potential customers that wait time is 18-24 months. I know he feels that is too long. I also know that he never shuts down communication unless there is a very good reason. I suspect you know what is really going on. To my knowledge, all 'smiths' on this site are honest and reputable. Good luck

Not knocking Kirby, but Chris Matthews was on this site and he wasn't reputable. He screwed a lot of people, and also I believe there are several threads about multiple smiths on here screwing over people. I do believe it's not intentional. They just can't manage the art of rifle smithing while managing the business side which is a whole different animal.

Not knocking Kirby, but Chris Matthews was on this site and he wasn't reputable. He screwed a lot of people, and also I believe There are several threads about multiple smiths on here screwing over people. I do believe it's not intentional. They just can't manage the art of rifle smithing while managing the business side which a whole different animal.

Amen to Chris Mathews!!! 2000 down the tube!!!!
Kirby is busy I have no doubt!!! But communication is key to any business and any transaction!!! All it takes is a simple email:

Hey here is where I am on your build. Should be another X weeks. I'll give u an update around then if I am not done."

That took me 15 seconds.

Anyway I hope Kirby takes the time to do what should have been done.
I'm waiting too!

I can't think of anything more convenient, certain, and documentary than e-mail. You do, of course, need to confirm you've got a current e-mail address. You could send a letter certified mail - return receipt. That would provide confirmation your letter was at least received.

After 6 years, if all else failed, I know I'd be making a Willie Nelson road trip. Not to throw a temper tantrum. To equitably settle and close the business arrangement, obtain my build parts, and move on. If the smith had completed some legitimate work, I'd pay the going rate for the work completed and then more forward. Which is exactly what I did 12 months ago.

If your gunsmith is so overwhelmed with work that he can't prioritize your build 6 years into it, I can't imagine why he couldn't agree to settle up for any work accomplished, and let you move forward.

6 years sucks big-time.

Anybody know how to get ahold of or know what's going on with Kirby Allen (fiftydriver)? Won't answer emails and pm's are full.

Wow, never would have thought that. His builds are coveted and he has a great set of wildcats that are popular too. Last I saw his build wait was 2 years and folks were happy, happy, happy to wait. That's crazy.

I checked his profile and his last activity was 08-27-2015. That's crazier. He has over 6,800 post and has been a major contributor to this site.

Sad and good luck.

I would absolutely love to hear his side of the story, I am not trying to badmouth him or get people to believe anything other than what has been my experience. I have nothing to gain by being dishonest and I am not exactly happy at your insinuating "I know what's really going on" if I knew what was happening honestly I might be willing to wait even longer because he does have a hell of a reputation as a truly top notch gunsmith. Part of the reason that I chose him to build this rifle. You were at his shop last week? Perhaps you could pop in for me and put a bug in his ear that I would like to talk about my project.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.