6 years too long to wait for rifle?

Skimbleshanks

So 6 years ago I sent off a rem 700 action, rock creek barel, Jewell trigger, a McMillan stock, a Zeiss scope, and the rest of the odds and ends to build out a rifle. Oh and $1200 for labor. It has been 6 years. I know the guy is busy and I agreed to a 1-2 year wait and this guy has a reputation for superb work, even on this sight. I just have no use for superb work that isn't being done. Really kinda bummed, and feel taken for a ride. This was supposed to be my first custom rifle.

6 years is too long to wait for anything!! Life is passing by. He may be good, but there are plenty of good gunsmiths. No excuse for 6 years. Get your parts and money!

6 years?! I would consider your stuff stolen at that point! Noooo way is he that backed log, no way. Even if he was then he 100% should not be taking orders and needs to hire someone to help manage his business. If a smith told me it would take 6 years for a rifle then I would immediately take my business elsewhere.

6 years?! Noooo way is he that backed log, no way. Even if he was then he 100% should not be taking orders and needs to hire someone to help manage his business. If a smith told me it would take 6 years for a rifle then I would immediately take my business elsewhere.

+1! I'm fortunate I have at least 5 reputable gunsmiths within an hours drive from me, one of which is only 2 miles. :D

If the gunsmith in question does performance based contract, he'll be out of business. :rolleyes:

Just curious- What excuse (or valid reason) is he offering for the long delay??
Has he at least started on it?
It was killing me to wait 7 months for mine, and if I had to wait over a year, I would be knocking on his front door getting everything back, including the $1200.
He should owe you some interest on that $1200 too.

If he couldn't prioritize your project over the past 6 years, can you really conclude you're a priority? I waited 2 1/2 years once before tossing in the towel, and then recovering all my build parts and moving on. No one had any explanation for the failure to perform, or even communicate. All communications ceases for the last 8 months. I mean ALL. No returned phone calls. Not a peep. Local folks that knew the gunsmith had no explanation. He didn't contract cancer. Hadn't divorced. No nervous breakdown. He was still operating his business.

I simply wasn't important in the scheme of his business, or his life. There comes a time when starting over is better than "never ending". Even if it involves additional cost - as it did in my scenario.

So there really hasn't been an explanation. I am situated in line behind x number of customers and apparently he has had to wait for parts, barrels, actions for other builds. Everything except a base and rings was sent so I am waiting on other people's parts. This is what I have gleaned from posts here and on facebook and personal emails.

6 years is ridiculous. Did he provide a contract or a quote for you? Have a copy? If I was you, I would take legal action against this gunsmith for fraudulent services and theft of monies / supplies if there was evidence in writing.

Would you happen to have a name of that gunsmith, so others could be aware,,,

Not going to say the name yet as I am still hopeful that the email I sent last night will get a good reply. Doubtful, but I'm not going to throw their name out without giving them one more chance to make good.

Not going to say the name yet as I am still hopeful that the email I sent last night will get a good reply. Doubtful, but I'm not going to throw their name out without giving them one more chance to make good.

Their one more chance to make good was about 5 years ago....

So there really hasn't been an explanation. I am situated in line behind x number of customers and apparently he has had to wait for parts, barrels, actions for other builds. Everything except a base and rings was sent so I am waiting on other people's parts. This is what I have gleaned from posts here and on facebook and personal emails.

Seems to me if he is working on someone's gun, and comes to a point where he needs to order and wait for parts, he should move on to the next one "in line" and work on that one. Who ever heard of waiting for parts to come in, and not work on anything else until they do???
Good luck ! You have patience for sure ..:)

Absolutely no one has a six year backlog. That is an unbelievable falsehood. And even if that were true, a customer should have been told up front that there is a six year+ wait for completion.

Come on now; do you know how many of use will actually be pushing up daises in six years or more? How ridiculous! :rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.