6 years too long to wait for rifle?

Sorry for your troubles but I have to agree with most on this site 6 years is ridiculous.

Hear is a normal time line.

If the smith has to order all of your parts = 3 to 6 months.

If you supply all the correct parts to build a rifle = 4 months

Depending on any kind of a schedule if he does your build In the order order he received it = 3 weeks max from the time he starts it.

If he has over 3 months backlog, he should not schedule any more work and start your work in at least 3 months completing your build in 4 months max.

I have said it time and again, Talk to your gunsmith and agree on a firm schedule.
never pay for labor up front. pay when the work is done. (Only pay for parts that he has to buy)

You can make progress payments for work that Is done if you can visit his shop and see progress
on your project.

Keep in touch with him and lf he does not meet the agreed scheduled time of completion, you might want to give him a visit and offer him a 4 week extension with the promises to pick it up at the end of that time.

If he doe not agree with that take the rifle, make sure he has been paid for any parts and labor spent on your build, and don't go away mad, just go away. if you don't, it will only get worse.

I am slow, but from the time I start one of my rifles, I can finish within under 10 days after I have all of the parts to complete the build, so there is no way a build should take over 6 months total. I don't care who the smith is and don't want to know because 6 years is ridicules and you should have taken charge and taken the parts back after the schedule was not met or at least attempted.

Also remember that If you change anything or parts. the schedule goes out the window.

It is up to the smith to know when he can no longer meet his commitments and stop adding more work.

No matter how many Atta boys a smith gets, it only takes one aw &#!t to cancel them out.

So My advice to those wanting to build a custom rifle, Plan your build, communicate with the smith what you want and expect, and if he agrees to build your rifle, (Some times they wont) hold him to the schedule and the accuracy requirements.

Sorry for your troubles.

J E CUSTOM

Do you realize what can be built in 6 years? You could build multiple 20,000 sq. ft. mansions with custom everything in 6 years. But this guy can't get off his backside and build a rifle? You must have the patience of an angel.

Well, it took about 10 years to put a man on the moon but then again, this poor guy doesn't have his rifle yet either. I hope he's not to old to lift it up but now that his children are all grown up and have kids of their own, they might could use a custom rifle built on antique parts.

Well, it took about 10 years to put a man on the moon but then again, this poor guy doesn't have his rifle yet either. I hope he's not to old to lift it up but now that his children are all grown up and have kids of their own, they might could use a custom rifle built on antique parts.

I'm 28, no kids yet. But soon. I hope to have the rifle well before then.

I'm 28, no kids yet. But soon. I hope to have the rifle well before then.

Wow!!!! Your were 22 years old when you started this build and are now close to 30 and you still don't have the rifle, that's just nuts!

I hope you get your rifle soon!!!! Post a picture and please let us know how it came out.

Go get all your build parts back, any deposit and explain your moving on as you would like to have the rifle in hand for your unconceived first sons high school graduation and at the rate this clown is going you will not have it in time.

I could MAYBE go, 18 months - 2 years if I was dead set on having a specific smith do the work, NO WAY OVER 2 YEARS.

To be honest 6 months is a good turn around time, 8-10 months is std for most smiths I've used.

Good luck, hope you get all you've invested back; of course less 6 years of your life waiting.

Man not the thread I wanted to find today. I sent him a very large check that could have bought a full custom from anybody that the as two years ago. I have that kind of luck though. First full custom. I've had several others finished since then. When I sent the check he did say it was two years so I'm not panicking yet. I also recieved the spam email. That was about the same time and have heard from him several times since then. About two months ago I sent an email letting him know two years was coming fast and there was a chance I may be oh of town when complete for work and was hoping for a fall completion. He stated it should be done mid summer after some supplier issues which do obtain to my build. looks like I may have to swing by on my way to race school this summer just to check in. I do have to say I have had pretty steady contact with him about my build. I can say I am ok with a wait and kept a copy of cashiers check and all emails. I still feel this is a one off issue that has somehow slipped through the cracks at least I hope so. This stuff happens just last week I realized I had an email that I looked at quick and never responded to it happens. As long as he makes it right and hopefully cuts you a hell of a break. Maybe he needs a marketing guy slash office employee to take some work load off. Even if it's a long wait as long as it's perfect when I get it I'll be happy. Last two full customs where ordered after this and completed just not close to completed right and they are very well known companies. I just have ****** luck. Hope this turns around quick cause Kirby has always been very nice to me.

Just re read my last email from him on my completion date. He has a very detailed reason for being behind. Not 6 years but mine anyway. Seems he has been held back a lot and finally decided to manufacture his own part. This and the spam email thing were all well over a month before this thread started. So I am positive it is not with bad intentions. Seems like he just has booming business and lack of follow through on suppliers that he relies on for his wildcats.

Good news. Should ship real soon.

Attachments

• IMG_0510.jpg
    IMG_0510.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 15
Just re read my last email from him on my completion date. He has a very detailed reason for being behind. Not 6 years but mine anyway. Seems he has been held back a lot and finally decided to manufacture his own part. This and the spam email thing were all well over a month before this thread started. So I am positive it is not with bad intentions. Seems like he just has booming business and lack of follow through on suppliers that he relies on for his wildcats.

Right. So you believe all this crap about how everyone else just won't get to work and it's causing him not to be able to do anything? If you do believe that, are you by chance in the market for some ocean front property?
I remember when I first started being interested in the long range thing and wanted one of his hot rod gun. I went to his website and as soon I saw he only emailed I left the site and have never been back.

Wow...awesome rifle! I would say it was well worth the wait, but I would be lying.

Now if it were a 1-2 year wait with proper follow up from the smith then yes it would be worth it. I have a theory...the better the gunsmith the crappier he is at managing the business side of their operations.

Wow...awesome rifle! I would say it was well worth the wait, but I would be lying.

Now if it were a 1-2 year wait with proper follow up from the smith then yes it would be worth it. I have a theory...the better the gunsmith the crappier he is at managing the business side of their operations.

I acquire my own parts so I wouldn't wait for over a year either, I don't care how good the gunsmith is. Luckily, I have access to the 5-6 good gunsmiths within an hours drive from me, one of which is only 2 miles away. :):Dgun)

I just dropped off my parts for my project build a week ago to Home, he's doing catch up because he was sick but he gave me a estimated completion date of 4 July ... we shall see.

Cheers!

You would think he would have thrown in a free cerakote job or something for you. Looks like he did nothing more than what your dollar bought.

He's not much of a businessman is he? He has lots of competition and there are several smiths who do BETTER work and do it sooner these days. The business survives on a perceived image from days gone by and gullible souls.

I wouldn't wait 2 years for one of his rifles. Wouldn't give my money to a business like that. He has no respect for his customers, for up to a certain time he had them by the balls, but no longer.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.