6.8 Western- has it been abandoned already?

ZAK13

Seems like the hype has run its course when it comes to the 6.8 Western. I have yet to find a rifle chambered for it anywhere, and only found ammo in a local Bass Pro Shop, and only 3 boxes at that. It might be just me, but I feel that 6.8 Western seems to have been abandoned already by Browning/Winchester. If that is the case, it's a shame, because I feel it's a great cartridge that has some potential as a good all around cartridge. What are your thoughts? Does anyone on here own one, and if you do what do you think?

I live in WV and bought one a couple weeks ago. I've been around to all the gun shops the last couple months and they say as soon as they get em in they're sold. I found one by chance at Cabelas while on a trip. Maybe it is cause they aren't making any but I thought it's cause they are selling so fast.....????

I see quite a bit of the ammo on shelves around here. Also see rifles chambered in it in the LGS around this area.

Browning is behind in production, they can't keep up. It is far from being abandoned. Here it is next to a 6.5 saum.
Almost twins but the western can carry a bit more powder.
Maybe a 6.5 western needs to be made to mess up the 6.5 line some more 👍🏻

Attachments

• C2A60A84-B61C-4FE0-AD97-A87248950E1F.jpeg
    C2A60A84-B61C-4FE0-AD97-A87248950E1F.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 563
Last edited:
My local GS is pretty PO'd over the deal. His supplier pushed him into stocking up on the guns and ammo basically telling him the 6.8 western was the next 6.5 Creedmoor. So he ordered all he could afford. Now it's 2022 and not one gun has ever arrived. However all the ammo did. Through the pandemic it's the only ammo he had…because no one around here has a rifle that can shoot it.

The Petersons Article is mostly, B/ S as, the .270 Win, .270 WBY and .270 WSM,.. ARE all,.. Quite Popular, amongst actual, Big Game, "Hunters" !
They all tend to, "Rub each others Back" and NOT bad mouth anything, in the Sporting Goods, Industry !
The 6.8 West. probably isn't, going to,.. Stand the Test of Time,.. IMO
The 6.5 PRC is, what's,.. selling !
And the 7 PRC will be up,.. NEXT !
And now, we're in, a "Recession", so people might be, more careful,.. HOW they spend, their Money

Last edited:
The 6.5 PRC is, what's,.. selling !
And the 7 PRC will be,.. NEXT !
Agreed, the 6.8 western fits into a void that IMO doesn't really exist between those 2 cartridges.

No real reason to market something they're incapable of producing to sell.
Hornady can't keep up production either and they are still pushing their cartridges hard.