6.8 Western- has it been abandoned already?

Doa here pretty much the only thing on the shelf for the shortage.

Who does it appeal to.... folks who want a fast twist 270 wsm with factory ammo. The decide its to hard to fast twist a 270 wsm, load any ammo or decide on another cartridge readily available with high b.c. 150-180 class bullets. Maybe it will pull a 6.5 man bun win, I'm guessing its gonna land closer to a 30 tc....

The 7 PRC hasn't even been released yet and it's already killed the 6.8 western.

Browning should have beat Hornady to the punch and done an improved 7 wsm design with a longer neck and slightly greater capacity, instead of screwing with a no man's land .277 caliber holding 73 grains like the saum and 280 ai

Well; we will see on 7prc. Everybody said same on 270 wsm vs 7mm/saum and while the 270 wsm never got extremely popular it smoked all the short 7 magnums. Nothing against 7mm, but the 7 rem mag is tough to unaeat plus the 28 nosler. Why you would choose 7prc in a LA over a well established 28nos that has more horsepower will prove to be an interesting watch

Lou

The 7 PRC hasn't even been released yet and it's already killed the 6.8 western.

Browning should have beat Hornady to the punch and done an improved 7 wsm design with a longer neck and slightly greater capacity, instead of screwing with a no man's land .277 caliber holding 73 grains like the saum and 280 ai
I think Browning and Winchester were trying to playing into the legacy of the 270 Win with a new design that hits that 2900-3000 fps region and comes off the shelf to handle heavy for caliber bullets. But, they may have over played their hand.

6.5 prc makes sense as it fits better in a true short action over a 6.5 x 284 or 6.5 saum. Although I'd probably not make the switch if I already had the previous cartridges. The 7 prc is a weird one, I get the dislike of loading belted magnums but in a world with the 7wsm, 280 ai, 284, 28 nosler, 7 rum.... did we really need a 7 prc?

The 6.8 western is the lifted Subaru of cartridges. Sounds good on paper but in practice it's only pulling from a small pool of folks who just want to be different even if the benefit is mostly an intangible personal preference.

It it really does it for you, that's fine and dandy. Doesn't change the fact that lots would rather see the powder primers and brass filling the empty shelves for established cartridges.

Personally I already have fast twist 270wsm, so I'll just stuff the new 175 pills in it and ride of into the sunset.

Well; we will see on 7prc. Everybody said same on 270 wsm vs 7mm/saum and while the 270 wsm never got extremely popular it smoked all the short 7 magnums. Nothing against 7mm, but the 7 rem mag is tough to unaeat plus the 28 nosler. Why you would choose 7prc in a LA over a well established 28nos that has more horsepower will prove to be an interesting watch

Lou
Trust me I'm not even a little excited about the 7 prc, I really dislike what hornady did with all the prcs.
But making a 270 with 4-5 grains less capacity than a 270 wsm, and marrying yourself to a very limited selection of heavy high bc bullets is even dumber.
6.5 prc makes sense as it fits better in a true short action over a 6.5 x 284 or 6.5 saum.
I disagree
The 6.5 prc is the most redundant of them all.
The case is 2.030" long and given its narrower diameter than the 6.5 saum it holds 68 grains verses 73, and the saum is .005" longer.
Plus it comes with those awesome resizing issues

With the already properly throated and twisted 6.5x284 holding a whopping 2 grains less than the prc I'm honestly baffled at what Hornady did.
They should have standardized the 6.5 saum with whatever legal changes may have been reqired and called it a day.

Basically while I appreciate ingenuity the firearms industry is playing us for fools

I'm with you, bought one last winter and 5 boxes of ammo. Absolutely the easiest rifle to zero in the scope. First compared it to my 270 cartridge until I shoot it. Pretty much flat out to 300 yards ( far as I've had a chance to shoot). Now no one has ammo.hoping one of you all have worked up a reload formula that you'll share.

I like the 6.8 Western, will it hang around? I don't know but I'm keeping mine, a Winchester XPR that took forever to get. But I went through a bigger gaggle getting my Model 70 6.5 CM. But it's all worth it. I just like guns, esp. Winchester's

Seems like the hype has run its course when it comes to the 6.8 Western. I have yet to find a rifle chambered for it anywhere, and only found ammo in a local Bass Pro Shop, and only 3 boxes at that. It might be just me, but I feel that 6.8 Western seems to have been abandoned already by Browning/Winchester. If that is the case, it's a shame, because I feel it's a great cartridge that has some potential as a good all around cartridge. What are your thoughts? Does anyone on here own one, and if you do what do you think?
The 6.8 what?

Seems like the hype has run its course when it comes to the 6.8 Western. I have yet to find a rifle chambered for it anywhere, and only found ammo in a local Bass Pro Shop, and only 3 boxes at that. It might be just me, but I feel that 6.8 Western seems to have been abandoned already by Browning/Winchester. If that is the case, it's a shame, because I feel it's a great cartridge that has some potential as a good all around cartridge. What are your thoughts? Does anyone on here own one, and if you do what do you think?
Just buy a Winchester 270 short mag and change the twist. Same thing. All marketing and people fell for it

Recent Posts